Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have a leak in the bathroom can't get ahold of the landlord

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:39 PM
  • 10 Replies
I just discovered a leak in my bathroom. It's pooling in the light cover and dripping all over the floor. Ive been blowing up the landlords phone and the maintenance guys and neither one are picking up or responding to texts. What do I do? I mean electricity and water don't mix well obviously and I'm afraid it could short out and cause a fire.
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM-RN
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Turn your water OFF is the first thing you should do! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM
Text the landlord and maintenance guy that electricity and water are mixing, and if you don't hear from them soon, you'll have to contact the fire department because it's becoming dangerous.

😁
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM
Keep flipping the switch on and off. Eventually a spark should get his attention.
Footballmom1979
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM
I'm in an apartment complex so I'm not sure I can turn it off from inside my apartment. I'm definitely going to look and see what I can find though

Quoting MOM-RN:

Turn your water OFF is the first thing you should do! 

Alustriel
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM
Turn off your water . Then for extra measure you could tuen the power off to that area of the house.
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Do you know how to turn the water off

mcrowley22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Turn the water off to your bathroom. get a towel and clean up any water left on the floor. Contact the landlord, leave a message. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:45 PM

if it's coming from the light cover, is it a leak from the outside roof into the bathroom ceiling? if so, shut off the power to your bathroom so that there's no electrical flow. You should have a breaker box inside your apartment, right? (i never lived in apartment so i'm not sure...every house i've lived in has one. i'd assume you have some way to shut off power to specific rooms within your own apartment?) That way at least you're safe from fire hazard

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:50 PM
There are water shut off's, look next to your water heater. If someone lives above you get them to shut theirs of since it's probably coming from there. I would kill the electric to.
Footballmom1979
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:51 PM
I found the shut off valve for the water Just waiting right now for the landlord to return my call
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)