Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Of Distracted Driving Preschooler, What If....

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:44 PM
  • 56 Replies

....the child was using a crayon and pretend smoking?

Would you think the teacher was OK to tell the child to stop?

Or would you think the child should still have uninhibited free play however she desires?

I'm asking because of the numerous parents in the other thread who were saying it's a fake phone and a fake car so who cares, let the kid play however she wants.

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lady_Facetious
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM
I'm guessing many of those who said who cares have no formal child development training. Kids do learn through play, they do use play to express themselves and you can learn about a child's life by observing play. If a child was drawing age inappropriate images, one would look into it out of concern there was something going on. If a child was mutilating a doll's genitals, that's a huge red flag for sexual abuse etc
romalove
by SakePrincess on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lady_Facetious: I'm guessing many of those who said who cares have no formal child development training. Kids do learn through play, they do use play to express themselves and you can learn about a child's life by observing play. If a child was drawing age inappropriate images, one would look into it out of concern there was something going on. If a child was mutilating a doll's genitals, that's a huge red flag for sexual abuse etc

I thought it was so odd that parents would say the teacher shouldn't have told the child that we don't talk on the phone while driving.  While it was play, play is supposed to be practice for what they do when grown, one of the reasons it's so important to model good behavior.

I thought adding something more grossly serious might change some minds.

Thank you for your response.  :-)

redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:28 PM

I would not allow my child to pretend to talk on the phone while driving a play car. Just as I would not allow them to pretend to spank the crap out of thier dolls, or pretend to smoke, or any other behavior I dont want them to have when they get older. Whatever traits, behaviors, lessons learned I want my children to have when they are adults, I start teaching from day one. In age appropriate ways of course.

Lady_Facetious
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:29 PM
I found it odd as well.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Lady_Facetious: I'm guessing many of those who said who cares have no formal child development training. Kids do learn through play, they do use play to express themselves and you can learn about a child's life by observing play. If a child was drawing age inappropriate images, one would look into it out of concern there was something going on. If a child was mutilating a doll's genitals, that's a huge red flag for sexual abuse etc

I thought it was so odd that parents would say the teacher shouldn't have told the child that we don't talk on the phone while driving.  While it was play, play is supposed to be practice for what they do when grown, one of the reasons it's so important to model good behavior.

I thought adding something more grossly serious might change some minds.

Thank you for your response.  :-)

TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:29 PM
I don't know. I worked with a little girl once who would sniff things off of paper plates. I would worry as a parent if my child was doing this and where she picked it up from.
Rigby229
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:30 PM

I used to pretend smoke all the time and I bought fake candy cigarettes.  Lol I still remember ds when he was little pretending to smoke when it was cold and he could see his breath.  He'd hold a small stick or a straw and say "I'm smoking".  He hates the smell of cigarettes now.  I also as a kid used to pretend Mountain Dew was whiskey.  I thought it looked like whiskey.  Idk why because it really doesn't.  I personally don't smoke nor do I drink whiskey so yeah make believe doesn't bother me.  Plenty of time to teach them smoking kills and too much drinking is bad for you.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:33 PM

It wouldn't bother me.. I used to play smoke with my candy cigarettes as a kid. I've never smoked anything in my whole life. 

Play is play IMO. I wouldn't say anything to the teacher, but I would just shake my head inwardly over it. ( the car post and this one) 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither my children, nor my grandchildren, would ever "fake smoke" because NO ONE (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc) smokes here, and the few friends who smoke do so outside and away from the children.  And we all emphasize how unhealthy smoking is, if they see someone smoking.  Children ABSOLUTLY mimic what they see.  They learn what they live.  If there is a toddler on a "fake phone" in a "fake car"  you can BET that is what they see.  As for let the kid play however she wants, would you allow your child to "fake" torture and kill?  Allow "fake" sex acts?  "Fake" drunkenness?  Not me.  But then again, I have a brain.

ivegotrhythm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this
I think this is a great post.

As a preschool teacher yes, we encourage imaginative play, but we have to guide it to what's appropriate for real life.

That's what teaching is!
ivegotrhythm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM
The sad thing is that you do see children playing those things.

And apparently that's just fine because they're just playing.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Neither my children, nor my grandchildren, would ever "fake smoke" because NO ONE (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc) smokes here, and the few friends who smoke do so outside and away from the children.  And we all emphasize how unhealthy smoking is, if they see someone smoking.  Children ABSOLUTLY mimic what they see.  They learn what they live.  If there is a toddler on a "fake phone" in a "fake car"  you can BET that is what they see.  As for let the kid play however she wants, would you allow your child to "fake" torture and kill?  Allow "fake" sex acts?  "Fake" drunkenness?  Not me.  But then again, I have a brain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)