Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what's the difference between a christening and a baptism?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:07 PM
  • 7 Replies
I thought the two were interchangeable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM
Some denominations practice infant baptism or christening.

Others practice believers baptism on older people.

Baby baptism and christening are interchangeable
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM
They are the same in my Church.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM
Infant baptism is called a Christening by some Christians. I'm Lutheran and we just call it a baptism. I think Catholics call it a Christening.
mrs.hummus
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM
Oh OK, so basically it depends on he denomination? I have a friend who's ds is getting baptized. I asked about the day of the christening and she corrected me lol. They're catholic.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Infant baptism is called a Christening by some Christians. I'm Lutheran and we just call it a baptism. I think Catholics call it a Christening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:14 PM

We call it Baptism. 

Quoting Danesmommy1: Infant baptism is called a Christening by some Christians. I'm Lutheran and we just call it a baptism. I think Catholics call it a Christening.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:15 PM
For some reason I thought Catholics had christenings, I'm sorry.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

We call it Baptism. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM

Nope! I know a lot of non-denominational Christian friends that call it a Christening on their infants. They don't use water or oil but later on the kids can decided to become baptized which does involve water and oil. I've never been to a baptism so I'm not sure how their different from a catholic one, besides being older.I have been to a couple Christians and it was more like the parents dedicating their child to god and promising to raise them in a spiritual home. 

Quoting Danesmommy1: For some reason I thought Catholics had christenings, I'm sorry.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

We call it Baptism. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)