Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle this?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am getting married in Sept this year. My MOH is my best friend of 16 years and my brides maids are my SOs SILs (2 of them). I have gotten really close to them in the last couple years. My family only calls me when they need something, so we don't talk much. Yesterday I was with my aunt running errands and she was helping me color my hair for my new job that starts on Monday. She asked about how the wedding planning was going and who was in my bridal party, so I was honest and told her. I know that she hates my MOH and has for years now. But she is so mad that I am not having one of my cousins as a brides maid. I have 3 female cousins. One is a thief and liar who I am not even inviting. One I am just not that close to (We didn't even get an invite to her wedding last year). And the last one I talk to about it but she is busy and knows that she wouldn't really be available to do any planning, fittings, or even if she'll be able to attend the wedding. I didn't mention to my aunt about that because I was asked not to (the aunt is the last cousins mother and they don't get along well.... no one really gets along with that aunt). She kept telling me that I am a horrible person and how the family loves me and that I am pushing them away. How am I doing that!? Its my right to have who I want as a bridesmaid! I was so mad!

by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Your wedding. Your right.
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM
You can choose whoever you want.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her it's your decision & that there are reasons you've not chosen them & you're not going to spread their business around. Tell her you refuse to gossip.
MysticLove
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:45 PM

I told her part of the truth which is that I am closer to these women than any of my family. And it is true, even the cousin that can't isn't as close as the SILs.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Tell her it's your decision & that there are reasons you've not chosen them & you're not going to spread their business around. Tell her you refuse to gossip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 5:49 PM
When all is said & done this is your wedding. You have a right to choose. When me & dh renew our vows I will choose my sisters in law to stand up with me & not any of my cousins. I'm simply not close to them. The only 1 I would ask lived in Hawaii right now so I've no way of knowing if she could be there. This is your choice. She will just have to deal with it.

Quoting MysticLove:

I told her part of the truth which is that I am closer to these women than any of my family. And it is true, even the cousin that can't isn't as close as the SILs.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Tell her it's your decision & that there are reasons you've not chosen them & you're not going to spread their business around. Tell her you refuse to gossip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)