Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be OK with someone with HIV caring for your infant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
First off, I am well aware of how HIV is transmitted, and I'm not prejudice against it.
However, Im second guessing myself about the childcare arrangement for my 14 month b old son since I found out one of his teachers is HIV positive. I never thought I'd have an problem with it, but now that it involves my kid, and a real life issue, I'm not sure how I feel about it.
I know the daycare can't disclose medical information, but isn't this at least a small risk to the children she cares for? She works with toddlers, one of whom is a biter, and has broken skin before, what if he were to bite her? Or if she had an open wound or sore somewhere on her body. She's picking up toddlers all day.
I really am not trying to be a bitch, I'm just concerned, I don't know how worried I should be or if b I should even be worried. She's an o.k teacher, I like his other teacher a lot more, she's very enthusiastic about her job, the other girl always seems to be disinterested. I've never seen signs that she neglects or abuses any of the kids in any way, just that maybe she's not happy with her job?
Anyway, I was just wanting to get someones opinion, I'll probably get bashed to hell for this post.
Edit* I found out she was HIV positive from one of her former Co workers who is a friend of mine, she told me she was fired from that job for an unrelated incident, and tried to say it was related to her having HIV
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
She's probably in more danger of picking up an illness than any of the kids in the daycare. I'm sure she's very conscientious about it. I wouldn't be worried.
TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM
I dk. When I worked in daycare we had to wear gloves and stick to hygiene so not really a big deal. I can't say that I wouldn't be nervous about it even knowing medical fact.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:23 PM

I would talk to your child's pediatrician and ask them. Ask about risks and have an open discussion about your feelings and fears.

I think your fears are valid. Meaning I can see why you would feel worried about it. Whether there is risk or not, I can see you being worried.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:23 PM
It's not your business.

I work with toddler's. My medical information is not a parents business and so help me god if I ever found out they knee anything about my medical information. I would sue everybody up one side and down the other.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:24 PM
True, they are little germ factories. Thank you

Quoting Anonymous 2: She's probably in more danger of picking up an illness than any of the kids in the daycare. I'm sure she's very conscientious about it. I wouldn't be worried.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:25 PM
Are you hiv +?

Quoting happymommy1105: It's not your business.

I work with toddler's. My medical information is not a parents business and so help me god if I ever found out they knee anything about my medical information. I would sue everybody up one side and down the other.
WaterorWine
by Wino on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:26 PM
I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't have someone care for my toddler with HIV if I knew about it.
djsmommy13
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:26 PM
I wouldn't like it. I honestly think that anyone with HIV infection shouldn't be able to work in a daycare, hospital, doctors office, or anything of that nature
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM
I'd have to agree with you on this one
Quoting happymommy1105: It's not your business.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Since it didn't come from the business but from a former employee whom she willing told on her own.  Then if you did the same thing you wouldn't have a leg to stand on with any kind of law suit. 

Quoting happymommy1105: It's not your business. I work with toddler's. My medical information is not a parents business and so help me god if I ever found out they knee anything about my medical information. I would sue everybody up one side and down the other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)