Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm really surprised :/

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
How do you handle stealing? Consequences?

I'm honestly extremely shocked we are dealing with this right now... I never even considered it something we'd be dealing with at this point. DS is 7, he stole some money from us yesterday/today... Not a lot but thats besides the point.

I feel kind of lost on how to handle it tbh. :/

Update: DS won't say anything but he doesn't remember where he got it or he found it in his bank. We've talked to him, asked him directly if he took it from the change jar, etc.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:35 PM

First you have to find out why he stole it.  

How did you find out and what did he have to say about it?

TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:35 PM
I dk. Hugs to you.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:37 PM
I'd spank his butt and he's lose EVERYTHING. No TV, no game system, no tablet, no friends... He'd be able to sit in his room and read a book when he's not working his hiney off as my new maid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM
I haven't said anything to him since I confirmed it.. I wanted to cool off and think through how to handle it before I did.
He had his change out yesterday and dh went in to remind ds7 not to play with it and put away when he finished counting. We didn't think anything of him having it since he'll randomly get change from my parents or something and figured it'd been sitting in his piggy bank forgotten about for a while. Today he took his piggy bank out again but was playing with the money in it and was told to put it away but dh noticed it was more than he had yesterday, asked ds7 where all his change came from (general question, not accusing or anything) and ds7 said he didnt know/remember so mentioned it to me. We recounted and counted what ds7 had, which was exactly the same as what was missing from the change jar.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

First you have to find out why he stole it.  

How did you find out and what did he have to say about it?

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd take everything. I mean he would be sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

Then he would be having a chat with the local PD about stealing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM
He's lost TV for the week already.
A long talk and Extra chores (without points) was my go to but wasnt sure if that was the right step here... I'm honestly clueless and shocked.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'd spank his butt and he's lose EVERYTHING. No TV, no game system, no tablet, no friends... He'd be able to sit in his room and read a book when he's not working his hiney off as my new maid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
You know how much money is in your change jar??

I'm trying not to roll my eyes at you.

Give him a break. He's 7. Tell him he can't just take what he wants, but he can earn it if he likes. Give him a choice of chores to do for a quarter each.
143myboys9496
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:09 PM
At 7 he should've able to print have him write
"I will not steal" 25 times...in addition to what you've done.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He's lost TV for the week already.
A long talk and Extra chores (without points) was my go to but wasnt sure if that was the right step here... I'm honestly clueless and shocked.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'd spank his butt and he's lose EVERYTHING. No TV, no game system, no tablet, no friends... He'd be able to sit in his room and read a book when he's not working his hiney off as my new maid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:11 PM
If I wasn't worried about my ex and court I'd be considering it, but I know that won't go well :/
I didn't consider PD though, currently were "stuck" at home (ice/snow and everything shuts down because they don't have the equipment to handle it so roads arent safe) but maybe a trip later in the week... Would making him wrote a "report" on it after be too far? Itd kill two birds with one stone (he needs extra practice with writing and handwriting)

Quoting happymommy1105: I'd take everything. I mean he would be sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

Then he would be having a chat with the local PD about stealing.
mrsmom110
by NO on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Did you ask him why he thought it was OK to take YOUR change jar?!  What is he saving for?  Ask him how he would feel if you took one of his favorite things from him.  He's old enough to understand he will get consequences for bad behavior, but he needs to learn WHY it's wrong so he won't consider repeating it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)