Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Photography moms!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I want to learn how to take really nice pictures of my kids and have started saving up to get a really nice camera. I started looking at cameras on amazon and I realized I have no clue where to start in looking for a camera. The two big categories they had on amazon were digital SLRs, which I've heard a lot of people talk about, and mirrorless cameras, which I have never even heard of.

What are some cameras that take really nice pictures but doesn't need tons of experience and accessories to operate? What kind of camera do you personally have? Feel free to share pictures as well :)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:49 PM

Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM

The mirrorless camera is basically a point and shoot designed to look like an SLR.

An SLR allows you to change your lens and manage the "zoom" on the lens its self.  Start with a 35-80 and go from there as you play.  Nikon would be my go to as they have really good optics and will work with older Nikon lenses.

bcoll
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:54 PM
I think my Canon rebel t3I takes some really great pics with me as it's talentless operator. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Haha, that's good to know! I will look into that particular one. 

Quoting bcoll: I think my Canon rebel t3I takes some really great pics with me as it's talentless operator. Lol

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
That's not an accurate description of a mirrorless camera at all. They do not have mirrors, which makes them smaller and lighter than a DSLR. Mirrors are pointless without film, they just didn't know how to design the body better until recently. Mirrorless systems have interchangeable lenses and are usually faster than DSLRs because of the mechanics. Many are now outperforming pro DSLRs. I ditched my pro Canon for an Olympus system and haven't looked back.

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

The mirrorless camera is basically a point and shoot designed to look like an SLR.

An SLR allows you to change your lens and manage the "zoom" on the lens its self.  Start with a 35-80 and go from there as you play.  Nikon would be my go to as they have really good optics and will work with older Nikon lenses.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM

What do you mean by "faster than DSLRs", do they take the picture quicker? Would that be better for taking pictures of kids who move a lot?

Quoting quickbooksworm: That's not an accurate description of a mirrorless camera at all. They do not have mirrors, which makes them smaller and lighter than a DSLR. Mirrors are pointless without film, they just didn't know how to design the body better until recently. Mirrorless systems have interchangeable lenses and are usually faster than DSLRs because of the mechanics. Many are now outperforming pro DSLRs. I ditched my pro Canon for an Olympus system and haven't looked back.
Quoting Isaacsmom913:

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:24 PM
They can photograph at a faster shutter speed and in longer bursts. But to be honest it's not something the average person would need to capture kids because you stop normal motion at 1/250 sec and sports is shot around 1/1000. Yet my camera can shoot 1/16000. Sometimes manufacturers do things just because they can. I have never or will never use it. When things are moving fast enough I might need that, motion blur makes a much better picture. Your also have to turn your ISO so high that the image quality would be crap in most cases. The person I know who uses this setting photographs military jets from another jet for defense contractors and they are breaking the sound barrier lol.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

What do you mean by "faster than DSLRs", do they take the picture quicker? Would that be better for taking pictures of kids who move a lot?

Quoting quickbooksworm: That's not an accurate description of a mirrorless camera at all. They do not have mirrors, which makes them smaller and lighter than a DSLR. Mirrors are pointless without film, they just didn't know how to design the body better until recently. Mirrorless systems have interchangeable lenses and are usually faster than DSLRs because of the mechanics. Many are now outperforming pro DSLRs. I ditched my pro Canon for an Olympus system and haven't looked back.

Quoting Isaacsmom913:

answeredprayer
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:28 PM
A Dslr will be fine with what you are wanting. I use a Nikon but canon is a good company as well. Go and look at them in person before buying so yoy can feel them in your hand and then you can shop online for the best deal. If you are interested in having more control of your camera, then I suggest reading Understanding Exposure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:30 PM
Canon rebel
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:38 PM

that's what bcoll said too, and there's a bunch of great reviews for it on amazon, thanks :)

Quoting Anonymous 2: Canon rebel

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)