Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No poo ladies

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

If you have done no shampoo for AT LEAST A YEAR 

have you found that going no-poo has helpd your hair grow faster, slowed it, or noticed no change? And what is your no poo routine? 

I recently went no poo because i want to get my natural curl back but im also trying to grow my hair out to make historical reenactment easier (i have a mohawk :( ) and i want to make sure its not hurting my hair growth 

by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vestarose
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM

bump

TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:52 PM
I couldn't do that. I used to straighten my hair and let it go a few days but if I wear it curly, it gets greasy by the second day.
Jujubee12
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Quoting TinkTink205: I couldn't do that. I used to straighten my hair and let it go a few days but if I wear it curly, it gets greasy by the second day.

that is the point of no poo. Washing your hair actually causes oiliness. Your body can regulate your hair oil but when you dry it out and strip it it over produces oils causing oily hair. Its a similar issue with your skin. There is a period of having oily hair (i wash with baking soda and vinegar once every two weeks at this point to wean myself) but once you are passed the part of adjustment your scalp produces the right amount of oil and you have more vibrant, healthy hair and scalp. 

Jujubee12
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:49 AM

shouting

jpickens
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:52 AM
Oh. You still wash your hair, you just don't use shampoo. Lol! Misunderstood.

Never thought about using something other than shampoo.

Quoting Jujubee12:

Quoting TinkTink205: I couldn't do that. I used to straighten my hair and let it go a few days but if I wear it curly, it gets greasy by the second day.

that is the point of no poo. Washing your hair actually causes oiliness. Your body can regulate your hair oil but when you dry it out and strip it it over produces oils causing oily hair. Its a similar issue with your skin. There is a period of having oily hair (i wash with baking soda and vinegar once every two weeks at this point to wean myself) but once you are passed the part of adjustment your scalp produces the right amount of oil and you have more vibrant, healthy hair and scalp. 

rfhsure
by beast mode on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:56 AM
I went from baking soda and vinegar washes to using dreadlock shampoo once a week, and a soak once a month and that's been great for me. I've dome that for 4 years now and my hair grows extremely fast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2016 at 1:01 AM
I can't go with out washing my hair. But I don't wash it every single day.
Jujubee12
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous 1: I can't go with out washing my hair. But I don't wash it every single day.

not using shampoo on your hair does not mean not washing it. I wash my hair, but not with shampoo. 

Jujubee12
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Quoting rfhsure: I went from baking soda and vinegar washes to using dreadlock shampoo once a week, and a soak once a month and that's been great for me. I've dome that for 4 years now and my hair grows extremely fast.

Do you have dreadlocks or just chose to use the shampoo? And what do you you mean by doing a soak, what are you soaking your hair in? Thank you for your input!

Jujubee12
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Why cant people on this site read? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)