Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think should happen to these girls?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 334 Replies

This is a picture of 6 high school seniors that were a apart of this pictures that spells out "best you've ever seen class of 2016"

The news reported that the girls may have received a 5 day suspension. There's a petition calling for the girls to be expelled. Do you think 5 days is enough or do you agree with them being expelled?

It's also been said that they lost scholorships but I haven't found anything confirming that.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM-RN
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 9:59 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think that they should lose scholarships or get expelled. These girls need a college education! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing I see nothing wrong with what they did
firespurity
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:00 PM
12 moms liked this
I'd assume their stupid teenagers that found a "naughty" word they could make.

I wouldn't assume it was meant to be racist, just laughing about a naughty word. If they could have made f**k they would have.
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:01 PM
3 moms liked this

i think these girls should learn a lesson and be punished. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:01 PM
6 moms liked this
They were being stupid, but they do not deserve to have their lives completely ruined over one very distastful photo.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:01 PM
They should suffer consequences and be homeschooled! *sarcasm*

spooky415
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM
9 moms liked this
I think that's a bit extreme. I think making them apologize to the school would have been sufficient, as well as having them give a presentation on the effects derogatory language can have in an educational environment would have been better.

Was it inappropriate? YES. But all they did was take a stupid picture to show off how controversial and provocative they are. So give them the attention they so desperately crave and make them get it in a way that informs their peers of what using that language really means and does.

I am so sick of schools teaching a lesson by punishing and making an example out of everyone when it comes to racism. If you want to create a tolerant environment, then you have to remove ignorance. Suspension and expulsion don't do that. They just remove those girls. Those girls aren't the problem. The culture and environment they're in are. TEACH THEM what those words mean and what they do so they are able to teach their peers and actually CHANGE their community.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovemykids323
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM

i think 5 days is enough. i dont think there lives should be ruined over it though.

Tay06
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:03 PM
So they spelled out a word? Who cares?
lancet98
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:05 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't think they are just being high spirited young ladies.  I think it was a really assinine thing to pose for pictures while spelling out a racist word (well, THE racist word).

I would punish them.  They would be suspended from school for several weeks and have to make up the missed work.  If schools or scholarship organizations found out and wanted to deprive them of scholarsihs or admissions that would be that other educational institution's decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)