Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CM Lawyers, paralegals, or smarty-pants; Help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

You gals here know a bit of everything so I'm hoping you can help me.

I am looking at a doctor and I have found 2 malpractice cases in the last 5 years and this information after one of them:  

• Nature of Complaint: Judicial case 0XXXXXXXXXX5  (the x's are numbers of the case)

And I know the state this was in but I would like to find out more information about it.  How would I go looking it up?  Is that long number a case number I can find online or does it direct to a specific type of suit or wrongdoing?  The amounts are disclosed so I don't think this was a private settlement.  I am at the end of my internet magic and need help on where to look next.

I know you are gonna ask so it is a relative I don't particularly like but have to deal with because of another sick family member and I want to know if this relative is full of shit.  My family thinks doctors are practically gods and not taking their advice is blasphemy.  I probably am grasping at straws because I loathe this relative, probably some nuisance things that docs get at times. And I can't ask because that would be wrong in my family.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:52 AM
The doctor is your relative?

You can most likely pull case records at the court where the case was handled. This isn't possible with all types of cases though, you may just need to go and find out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:57 AM

Yes, the doctor is my relative and my family goes to him for all things wrong because he knows everything.  The malpractice suits are not in my state but across the country so there is no way to physically go there and check.  Believe me, if I could I would.

Quoting Anonymous 2: The doctor is your relative? You can most likely pull case records at the court where the case was handled. This isn't possible with all types of cases though, you may just need to go and find out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:51 AM
Bump for you law people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 3:58 AM
My therapist and I were talking about my sons play therapist the courts made him go to. I didn't like the guy. She went to a state website and typed in her name and license number and she had nothing. But we did a search statewide and holy fuck. We didn't find my sons therapist so he's had no issues that could keep him from practicing.

Maybe Google your state Dr malpractice details.
Or bump this wed and I'll ask her the exact website thing and maybe your state will have one.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Yes, the doctor is my relative and my family goes to him for all things wrong because he knows everything.  The malpractice suits are not in my state but across the country so there is no way to physically go there and check.  Believe me, if I could I would.

Quoting Anonymous 2: The doctor is your relative?

You can most likely pull case records at the court where the case was handled. This isn't possible with all types of cases though, you may just need to go and find out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:46 PM

bump for daytime help

Barabell
by ~~CC~~ on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:54 PM

I'm assuming this is in the US? 

Court proceedings are usually public record. Contact the court that heard the case and then order copies the case's finding. Some courts will charge you a fee for providing the copy. Some courts will put minutes and findings online for people to look up. You will just need to look at that court's website for their policies on providing the records.

Also, all states license doctors. If it was series, then the state licensing board probably looked into this too. If they made a determination on the malpractice case, then they might have some info about it on their website.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Florida.  

Quoting Barabell:

Court proceedings are usually public record. Contact the court that heard the case and then order copies the case's finding. Some courts will charge you a fee for providing the copy. Some courts will put minutes and findings online for people to look up. You will just need to look at that court's website for their policies on providing the records.

Also, all states license doctors. If it was series, then the state licensing board probably looked into this too. If they made a determination on the malpractice case, then they might have some info about it on their website.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:37 PM

What state? It's usually a matter of public record. I know my states website is https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/base/welcome.do. You can look up the cases with the case number. 

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:42 PM
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Florida.  

Quoting Barabell:

I'm in Florida. Go online to the counties clerk website. You can either fine the case there or the number to call.
Barabell
by ~~CC~~ on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:27 PM

OK. You already mentioned that you have a case number. Do you know what court it is at (county, state, or federal)? If so, look at their website to see how to obtain court records.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Florida.  

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)