Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried about my mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
My mom has always been an independent and strong woman. My dad worked 6 days a week, 12 hr days, so the burden of raising all 5 of us including my adopted sister fell on my mom. She even managed to work as a nanny while caring for us. Within the last 6 years, her health has deteriorated. She was diagnosed with broken heart syndrome, which is stress induced mi. She's been on life support several times. She also has had a series of strokes. She now uses a walker to get around. Lately, she's been showing signs of early alzheimers/dimentia.

A month ago, she and my father went out shopping. She didn't want to go to a store that he needed to buy a few things at. She told him to meet her in the dollar store. He returned home three hours later saying he couldn't find my mother. I drove around for two hrs looking for her. Luckily she borrowed someone's phone (which made no sense because she had her cell phone in her walker) and called home and said she was at a near by mcds. She had over 100 dollars of purchases from the dollar store... the next day she had no memory of what had happened or where she was. I put a tracker app in her cell phone that allows me to track her from my phone. I bought her a medical alert bracelet that says her medical conditions and another one that says her name, the house number and my cell phone in case she ever goes missing again. Tonight she asked me to buy her some monistat because she said she felt as though she had a yeast infection. I gave it to her and luckily I walked in on her...because she was about to SWALLOW the ovuler because she forgot that it was a vaginal insert. She thought she was taking her medication.

My poor mom is 68 yrs old...my grandmother had alzheimers before she passed away...and I believe my mom is beginning to as well. It makes me so sad to see her go through this. The strong woman that never needed anyone's help... the woman I admired and looked up to... the woman that has always been there for me and my children any time I needed her to be... she's disappearing and it's killing me.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:15 AM
I'm so sorry. Its tough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:21 AM
It is. Just thinking about it makes me cry. She's been there for me through so much.

Quoting left.drowning: I'm so sorry. Its tough.
zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:21 AM

Have her tested, my Mom has some early signs of dementia. They did the testing and she also had some heart blockage which contributed to forgetfulness. She has been on Two meds for 5 years now and still lives alone. They've made some nice breakthroughs in Alzheimer's in the last few years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:22 AM
I've already discussed it with her dr. Her next appointment we're going to discuss the results and what the next steps are going to be.

Quoting zoegirlsmom:

Have her tested, my Mom has some early signs of dementia. They did the testing and she also had some heart blockage which contributed to forgetfulness. She has been on Two meds for 5 years now and still lives alone. They've made some nice breakthroughs in Alzheimer's in the last few years.

Valentina327
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:27 AM
This disease is an absolute nightmare ... I wouldn't wish it on an enemy ... I'm so sorry ...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:40 AM
Thank you.

Quoting Valentina327: This disease is an absolute nightmare ... I wouldn't wish it on an enemy ... I'm so sorry ...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:56 AM
This broke my heart just reading this. I'm so so sorry you are going through this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:18 AM
Thank you. There has been so much more that's been going on, but if I wrote everything it would be entirely way too long. A thought that scares the crap out of me is losing my mom...but what's scarier is losing her while she's still alive. For her to be just a shadow of who she used to be. It kills me.

Quoting Anonymous 2: This broke my heart just reading this. I'm so so sorry you are going through this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:36 AM
:(

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you. There has been so much more that's been going on, but if I wrote everything it would be entirely way too long. A thought that scares the crap out of me is losing my mom...but what's scarier is losing her while she's still alive. For her to be just a shadow of who she used to be. It kills me.

Quoting Anonymous 2: This broke my heart just reading this. I'm so so sorry you are going through this.
geeez
by Baroness on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:54 AM
Alzheimer's does steal our loved ones from us. I'm so sorry you are going through this....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)