Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help me with a Fever question!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I've been actually lucky so far that my daughter has not yet had a fever... Atleast sickness wise she's had colds but but nothing else.

She felt super hot this morning so I took her temp after letting her wake up first because I know she could have just been the hot from sleeping well rectal came to 101.4 but I know you subtract a degree, armpit came to 100.8 but aren't you supposed to add a degree so that would put it at 101.8?

So is she 101, or 100?
She's 18 months. I think it's just a nasty cold since she's a little congested, so I haven't given her fever reducer because I read that it's good to let the body work its way naturally first, so then when should I give it to her?

She's 18 months.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:05 AM
I add a degree and treat the child, not the fever. If my kid had that temp and was really uncomfortable, I would give them some Tylenol. If my kid was behaving normal, and able to sleep. I would keep them comfortable and watch the fever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:08 AM
She's cuddly but doesn't seem uncomfortable and she slept good last night. You can't leave her sight though or she breaks into tears.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I add a degree and treat the child, not the fever. If my kid had that temp and was really uncomfortable, I would give them some Tylenol. If my kid was behaving normal, and able to sleep. I would keep them comfortable and watch the fever.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:11 AM
Add a degree under the armpit. Rectally is a more accurate reading.
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:14 AM

The "normal" temp orally should be 98.6. The "normal" temp rectally should be 99.6 and under the arm is 97.6. So if you are going by the "normal" 98.6 than you should subtract or add. So, rectally it's 101.4 which makes it a degree above the normal rectal temp. 

I agree with above, treat the child not temp. If she's not feeling well and whiny then give her something to help break the fever. While it's good to let the fever fight, it also makes them feel terrible. If she's not acting like she's not feeling well then let the fever work. I usually end up giving it becuase my dd just looks and feels terrible with fever. 

jjames1990
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:16 AM
Leave the temp alone. The fever actually fights the illness. It's good for them.
krystal-j-a
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:20 AM
I agree with this. If your baby is really whinning / crying a lot, I would give Tylenol or motrin. Also, that's the way I learned it, add a degree for armpit, subtract a degree for rectal. :)
How long did you wait to take the temp? I once accidentally made the mistake of taking my son's temp right after he got out of the tub. (Oops.) His temp was a little over 103 so raced him to the ER where they kinda giggled at me (not meanly) and told me you should wait an hour and recheck, if it's still high, recheck in another half hour. That way you make sure the reading is more accurate.
Hope this helps. :)

Quoting Anonymous 2: I add a degree and treat the child, not the fever. If my kid had that temp and was really uncomfortable, I would give them some Tylenol. If my kid was behaving normal, and able to sleep. I would keep them comfortable and watch the fever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:33 AM
Take it rectally and don't subtract anything. It isn't possible to get a reading that is hotter than what she actually is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:36 AM

i wouldn't give anything for a fever that low, it will prolong the illness...

MooseMomma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:40 AM
What everyone else already said. The rectal temp is what her temperature is. You don't add or subtract anything. And if she doesn't seem uncomfortable I wouldn't necessarily medicate her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)