• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone Else Have A Parent Like This?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

I have my own DS who is 6. My stepkids are 5 and 3.

I have a strained relationship with both my parents for many reasons but I talk to my Mom more than my Dad.

It annoys me to no end when she suggests DS should get "more" because my stepkids don't live here full time and he does.

Like, he should get more xmas presents. He should have the bigger room. He should be the first to get new things even if he doesn't need them. An example would be when I was going to buy my stepkids new dressers cause they needed them. Her solution was give them DS's old dresser to share and buy DS a new dresser. She also thinks DS should have my stepkids room since it's bigger. They share a room and DS has his own room, but they share the room because it's bigger. When everyone gets older I'll move the boys into the bigger room and SD can have the smaller room as her own room.

Also her reasoning for the "more" xmas presents is my stepkids get lots from aunts and uncles and DS only gets from us, her and my DH's aunts/parents, whereas my stepkids have lots more family on their Mom's side so they get more presents.

I set her straight that things will be fair in this house, DS will not be treated as better and everyone is treated the same, and I don't talk to her about things with the kids anymore. I really only talk to her now when she wants DS for the weekend but I used to talk to her more and that's when she would suggest those things.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Bieg9093
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:17 AM

I wouldn't let her have him on weekends if that's her attitude!  Who knows what manner of nonsense she's talking about the child's brothers/sisters?  Even if she's not outright saying bad things, she is certainly asking questions...the kind of questions that could easily plant the idea in the boy's head that there's scorekeeping to be done.

Seriously...I really don't think you should leave them alone together.

Don't text and drive. 

That doesn't mean you can look at your phone at red lights or stop signs or if you think you can do it quickly or if traffic's slow.  Just don't.  You're an adult.  Exercise some impulse control.  Quit driving like a 4 year old. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:29 AM
I've seen that attitude in any family. One granddaughter gets more from mom at Christmas because the other daughter married into a wealthy family that gets that granddaughter what she wants. It's your family though and yours to decide what to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)