Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving from Illinois to NY/NJ area. 😱😨

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this
My husband recently got a job offer in the New York/New Jersey area that would pay to have him starting at about 145k year + bonuses and overtime.
That might not seem like much to some of you but a LOT to us.

It's about $50,000 more than he makes a year now and were seriously considering moving but…

We currently live in a suburb of Chicago and both of us have lived in the Chicagoland area our whole lives. I'm excited about the opportunity, but if I'm being honest, I am incredibly intimidated by the idea of moving to the East Coast

We if they can't afford to live in the city but I'm hoping that there's some reasonably priced suburbs that have reasonably OK schools and reasonably low crime rates within driving distance

I know nothing of the area and I'm afraid that we might end up stuck somewhere we arent very happy.

Being originally from Chicago are used to high crime rate, but
East cost real estate is so much higher, East Coast lifestyle just seem so much more fast-paced, and in general people I've known from the East Coast, although wonderful people, are a lot more harsh andcrass than my husband and I.

I'm not going to miss out an opportunity like this because of my fear, but if there's anybody out there from the New York or New Jersey area have any helpful tips on areas to move schools or anything else feel free to share!

Also if anyone else has moved from Illinois to New York or New Jersey please share how the move went for you, how long ago you did it, and where you are now

To narrow it down:
I'd like to be 1-2 hours outside NYC
Hoping to pay around $300k for our home
I was hoping for north of the city in NY state, but he wants to look at jersey as well
His job will have him working mostly in the city, he will occasionaly be in the Newark area

I am an RN, I'm a SAHM now but hope to go back to work within the next 3 years

😱😱😱😱😱
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:42 AM
Try City-data. No one here knows every single area of NYC
Jodee24
by Sliceoflife on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:44 AM
I'm born and raised in NJ but in SJ which is totally different from North Jersey.
DJDNY
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:44 AM

I live in NY.  Try Rockland County, Westchester County NY and Begen County NJ.  PM me if you want more info.

TheFairest
by Mother of Dragons on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:48 AM
Yeah, I would go upstate. I'm in NY as well. You'll get better schools outside of the city. I would look into Westchester, Rockland, Orange County. No offense but I don't like jesrsey at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:48 AM
My time in NJ was very long ago but I like West Milford and Montclair. Verona. I didn't like Patterson or Newark. Poor areas as I recall. Probably very expensive place to live, Montclair. The people were mixed as anywhere. I found some very kind ones and some that were crazy. I'm in Florida now so idk any more than that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Thank you!!!!
Do you think we an find a decent home in a good area for around $300,000?

Quoting DJDNY:

I live in NY.  Try Rockland County, Westchester County NY and Begen County NJ.  PM me if you want more info.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:49 AM
I would stay on the New York side. New Jersey is a rat infested shit hole. Lol
DJDNY
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Westchester and Rockland are beautiful areas.  The taxes are high but the schools are good.  Rockland is about 25 miles from NYC.  Google Clarkstown schools.

NJ - Closter, Glen Rock, are good also.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you!!!! Do you think we an find a decent home in a good area for around $300,000?
Quoting DJDNY:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Some of my family lives in upstate NY, they said there are some great rural areas up there, but his work will be in NY/NJ and I don't know how long a commute he's willing to do

Quoting TheFairest: Yeah, I would go upstate. I'm in NY as well. You'll get better schools outside of the city. I would look into Westchester, Rockland, Orange County. No offense but I don't like jesrsey at all.
erin708
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:53 AM
I live in sussex county nj. Most north you can get. It's about 90 min commute without traffic into the city. Not sure if that's where he will be working. Lived here my whole life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)