Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it flirting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My 17 year old DD is afraid that another girl has a crush on her boyfriend. She doesnt think he will cheat on her, but she is noticing things about her that is making her think this. I don't really know what to tell my DD. I did say it doesn't matter if another girl likes him, as long as he doesn't like her. Things like this happen. Heck, it happened to me plenty of times, but those girls were very obviously flirting with my boyfriends. My DD isn't sure if she is flirting or just being friendly. She said that she always favorites his tweets on Twitter, always goes to his hockey games (even though she is friends with other boys on the team) and here's what she came to me with today: so if I understand the story right, he tweeted that he wanted to get Wendy's but didn't know if he should go. The girl said something like, "go to Wendy's! I'm your conscience" and he said thanks I will! And then she said "I'll always be there for you. Be safe"

Now I'm not very familiar with Twitter and it seems a little childish to get upset about, but maybe I see it that way because I'm already in my 40s. So I'm asking, what do you think? Does it sound like this girl was flirting? What would you think if a girl said this to your boyfriend?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:31 AM
4 moms liked this
I think it's silly for kids that age to expect to be in a serious relationship.

It sounds like teenage flirting to me. It's what they do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Honestly at that age, I told me kids not to expect anyone to be faithful and flirting is what people do at that age. Everything is for attention and to see how far they can go. AND the grass is always greener in their eyes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Silly to us but real to them.

Quoting Anonymous: I think it's silly for kids that age to expect to be in a serious relationship. It sounds like teenage flirting to me. It's what they do.

CoffeeKrazed
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:35 AM
Sounds like she's just being silly to me.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM

If that is cheating, then DH and I have been cheating on each other with a ton of people on facebook for years.

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM
She needs to not try to be in such a serious relationship until she's more secure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:38 AM

When girls flirt with your man it's HIM you should be upset with. They're doing this because he isn't telling them what's up. He's not putting them in their place or showing them what lane they belong in. They feel like they have a chance and he's allowing that to happen. That's my opinion at least.

ETA: There's no mistaking that I'm taken and I make it known that I'm not interested in any other men. I don't want them even attempting to try, I don't sit there and allow other guys to throw themselves at me, I put them in their place. Which isn't in the middle of my marriage. There's nothing wrong with that. At all. I'm being respectful to my partner.

Bieg9093
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:40 AM

I think you should advise your daughter to keep things light.  No need to worry about if it's flirting or not because it's just high school dating and there's no point in making a big deal out of things that should be a little deal.

Don't text and drive. 

That doesn't mean you can look at your phone at red lights or stop signs or if you think you can do it quickly or if traffic's slow.  Just don't.  You're an adult.  Exercise some impulse control.  Quit driving like a 4 year old. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM
My hubby and I got together when I was just 18 and been together 9 years with 2 kids so you can find your true love at that age. BUT... how long have they been together? She should talk to him about it. Nicely without sounding like a paranoid crazy girlfriend lo
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Yes maybe, but if it makes any difference, her boyfriend is a little older and so is this girl. My DD is also mature for her age.

Quoting Anonymous: I think it's silly for kids that age to expect to be in a serious relationship.

It sounds like teenage flirting to me. It's what they do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)