Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kid has horrible anxiety

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
My kid and his anxiety... they are suppose to dress as Dalmatians tomorrow for the 101st day of school and he doesnt want to go. He doesn't want to wear a costume bc he might be the only one wearing one. But, he doesn't not want to wear one bc he might be the only one not wearing it. I tried to tell him he could wear it under his uniform or take it with him and change if need be but he doesn't want to go to school at all. How do I fix this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:08 PM
Have him call a friend to see if he is dressing up too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:10 PM
He doesn't have any friends numbers. He's only in kindergarten and we haven't been at this school long enough to be close to any families.

Quoting LilysMama719: Have him call a friend to see if he is dressing up too.
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Bummer. That was my only idea.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He doesn't have any friends numbers. He's only in kindergarten and we haven't been at this school long enough to be close to any families.

Quoting LilysMama719: Have him call a friend to see if he is dressing up too.
Bieg9093
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Pick your strategy.  Stick with it.  Use the broken record technique to avoid further discussion.

Coming up with more ideas and talking about it too much feeds anxiety rather than alleviating it.  Once he knows he IS wearing it under his uniform, then his brain can focus on adapting to the idea.

Don't text and drive. 

That doesn't mean you can look at your phone at red lights or stop signs or if you think you can do it quickly or if traffic's slow.  Just don't.  You're an adult.  Exercise some impulse control.  Quit driving like a 4 year old. 

AlinaBella
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM
I'd let him stay home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Let him take a personal day then go to a museum.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM
That works? I'm willing to try it if it helps him.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Pick your strategy.  Stick with it.  Use the broken record technique to avoid further discussion.

Coming up with more ideas and talking about it too much feeds anxiety rather than alleviating it.  Once he knows he IS wearing it under his uniform, then his brain can focus on adapting to the idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:14 PM
I would but I start a new job tomorrow so he has to go.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Let him take a personal day then go to a museum.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:14 PM
I wish I could be I start a new job tomorrow.

Quoting AlinaBella: I'd let him stay home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM
I would email his teacher tonight and ask if you can bring him to the classroom in the morning. Bring the costume in a bag, and when he sees the other kids dressed up, take him to the nurses office and get him changed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)