Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Godmother but not the same religion

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:58 PM
  • 50 Replies

Let me start by saying that I am not saying any religion is wrong. I am simply curious.

Growing up I heard things about other religions, some I know now are not true and some are. I am Baptist. We do not believe in baptizing babies. But my soon to be SIL and her husband (my SOs brother) are Catholic. My SO is the godfather of her older 2 kids and the godmother is her sister. He youngest is turning 1 soon and she is having her baptized right after her birthday. She has asked us to be the godparents. From what I understand (not sure if it is right so correct me if I am wrong) the godparents are  supposed to be the same religion because they are "responsible" for spiritual guidance. 

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:00 PM
I Wasn't allowed to be my nephews godmother because I am not Catholic.

From what I understand godparents are supposed to be the same religion, they will be the ones to guide the children in their religion if something happens to their parents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM
I always thought that it was if anything happened to the parents.

My exh is a god father to a friend of his DS. They had legal papers drawn up and everything.
MysticLove
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM

That is what I thought. SIL knows I am not Catholic.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I Wasn't allowed to be my nephews godmother because I am not Catholic. From what I understand godparents are supposed to be the same religion, they will be the ones to guide the children in their religion if something happens to their parents.

Bieg9093
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Don't overthink it.  You believe in a Triune God.  Catholics believe in a Triune God.  Same-same.

Don't text and drive. 

That doesn't mean you can look at your phone at red lights or stop signs or if you think you can do it quickly or if traffic's slow.  Just don't.  You're an adult.  Exercise some impulse control.  Quit driving like a 4 year old. 

Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:02 PM

I'm Christian, My Godmother is Jewish.

nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:04 PM
My brother is an atheist and a godfather to my niece.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:06 PM

That's my understanding to, but I see more and more people bestowing that title on people with very little concern to what it actually means.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: I always thought that it was if anything happened to the parents. My exh is a god father to a friend of his DS. They had legal papers drawn up and everything.

I think that would be a guardian 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:08 PM
she is probably mistaking a 'Christian witness' for a Godparent in terminology.
In a Catholic baptism you have to have at least one Catholic as godparent you can then have a non-Catholic as a 'Christian witness'. The church views them differently but in terms of lived experiences most will say they are the same
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:10 PM
Yeah but they used the term God parent and pulled up guardianship paper work.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting Anonymous 2: I always thought that it was if anything happened to the parents.

My exh is a god father to a friend of his DS. They had legal papers drawn up and everything.

I think that would be a guardian 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)