Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids sports

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I guess I need some advice on this.

I grew up playing and liking sports. I wasnt really that good at any thing in particular(later cheerleading though). But I was always involved in something, gymnastics, Boys and girls club soccer, Tball etc.

Dh was here and there but usually they couldnt afford the sign up costs or to make it into town for practice and games. 

As an adult DH really wishes he was able to play sports as a kid and feels it would have made a difference in some of his issues growing up, like following directions, working as a team etc(he had horrible parents btw).

We have 3boys. 8, 6 and 2.

Last year the older two did tball, which was the first time playing sports for either of them. My 8yr old is.....clumbsy to say the least. The first 3 practices he got hurt. Ball to the face, ball to the junk, ball to the fingers while batting. He played out the rest of the season, and seemed to have fun. Coaching was terrible....and it was my "uncle"(step aunts partner). I watched the other teams and saw better coaching so I figured this year we could request the team his friends play on(I know the mom who co-coaches).

But he does not want to play. I asked about soccer, he said no. I asked about karate, he said no. We've done boyscouts but he said it was boring(it was, the leader was terrible).

What do I do?

I feel he needs some sort of activity that socializes, not because I think hes going to be a sports star but that I feel there are some good lessons involved in team sports, listening to a coach etc. But I dont want to all out force him, but hes not even willing to try.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Try and find some other activity for him. Sports aren't the only place to learn teamwork.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Try and find some other activity for him. Sports aren't the only place to learn teamwork.

oh yeah im trying. We live in a smaller rural area so its a little limited. 

He likes playing minecraft and the programing aspect so we've downloaded some programs for him. I wanted to see if there was a "computer club" type of thing or a robotics club in the area but there isnt. 

He is really artistic and we've done paint night but there is nothing social for his age in our area.

Thats also why he started boyscouts but that was just.....weird lol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:51 PM
My son is similar. I just give him a choice between 2-3 options then he has to pick one. Right now its soccer, he bitches about it but smiles the whole time he's playing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: My son is similar. I just give him a choice between 2-3 options then he has to pick one. Right now its soccer, he bitches about it but smiles the whole time he's playing.

Thats kind of how he was with baseball once he got more confident with it, he smiled and laughed and was talking with the other kids. I think he would have had more fun if he was on the team with his classmates, but my uncle put him on his team. Same with my younger son. He actually was removed as coach for that team because parents complained about how he coached.

Its hard knowing when they need that push and when not too. With baseball I wont push it because at least he TRIED it. He wanted to quit after getting hurt but i told him he started it and had made a commitment to his team mates so he needed to finish the season, which he understood. 

DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM
You need to find something and just put him in it. Sometimes kids don't know because they haven't done it. I suggest maybe soccer? It's a pretty easy sport to start off in. My 9 yr old plays tackle football and badeball. All my kids have done some sort of sport. Good luck, it can be frustrating.
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Give him a list of activies that are available and tell him he needs to pick one. I'm sure once he gets the hang of something, he'll enjoy it.

DS is 8 and has been doing soccer since he was 5. We ask him before each season if he still wants to play. If not, he has to sign up for something else. I tell him that he needs to be involved in something.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:12 PM
DS really didn't want to do karate at first, but I forced the issue. The positive things about learning martial arts outweighed his reluctance.

He's been doing it a year now and loves it. He's getting exercie, he's learning to defend himself, he's interacting with his peers and most of all he's learning about discipline, respect and honor.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Our rule is they can choose whatever sport they want, but they have to do something. I don't care if they join an underwater basket weaving team, they just have to do something. I want them to have the experiance of having to work as a team, how to lose and how to win gracefully, how to follow instructions from a leader, plus it's always healthy for them to be out doing something active, social, and doing something that will improve their fine and gross motor skills. My kids are very social, especially my eight year old eldest, but hanging out with friends at a house and socializing in a structured team are different experiances in my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)