Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate Girl Scout cookies!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM
  • 33 Replies
My dds have all been in Girl Scouts. Now my youngest 2 are in the same troop and are selling cookies. I hate it. But I do it for them. The troop is working towards going on some big trips. That's the ONLY reason I do this.

Yesterday we had a cookie booth. I picked up all the cookies along with the change on Thursday and they never left my car. I return the leftover cookies and the money yesterday after the booth and tell the leader that we get donations. It was around $25. I didn't count any of it. She texted me and said I was $23 short and that's with the donation money making up for the shortage, so I was actually around $50 short.

This crap happened last year too. I'm very careful with giving back change. I don't give back the wrong change. I know how to count. This never happened to me before in other troops. It's just with this troop leader. I seriously think she doesn't know what she's doing. I don't have the money to make up this difference. I have radiation treatment this week and I need every penny I have. Now I have to go pay for stupid Girl Scout cookies that I didn't buy.

I HATE this time of year. Ugh!!
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:15 PM
Um. I guess I worked with money too long to sympathize. I just can't imagine not counting the money.

My family won't even let me be the banker in monopoly because I'm so anal about money.
2012Rabbit12
by JoseManuelVargas on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:18 PM

What happens if you don't pay? Just tell them you don't have the money, don't pay anything. I wouldn't. Thieves.

JanetteA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Girl Scout cookies are the WORST.   First of all it's an inferior product-- anybody can buy better cookies at a better prices.  But the way it's handled behind the scenes that bothers me.   It's supposed to be the girls who sell the cookies, but let's face it, it's mostly parents who do the background work.   Parents have to check the orders, provide transportation to pick up the cookies, store the cookies, sell any boxes left in the case, pay for any unsold boxes, pay for any shortages out of their own pockets, supervise the selling, on and on-- and of course none of the parents' outlays of time and money are ever reimbursed.      

No company in America would treat its sales reps that way, but the Girl Scouts do it year after year, and they do so claiming it's educational.  It's not-- it's exploitative.    Have you ever noticed the mailing address for the GSA national headquarters?  It's some of the most expensive real estate in New York CIty, paid for by unpaid child labor.

Thankfully I am out of that racket.  My son's Scout troop sells evergreen wreaths at CHristmas time.  It's a pretty good value, people pay by check ahead of time, and the wreath company handles 80% of the distribution.  Easy peasy. 

SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:38 PM
I made my 7yo sell her cookies. She sold 108. No complaints here. I won't do booths, though. Sorry you went through that.
ptkds
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:41 PM
Yep. It's insane that we get 10% of the sales price. These girls and the parents work hard. For $.40 a box. We make a better profit on the fall products but no one pushes that. And the window to sell is is only about 2 weeks. Most troops completely miss it or haven't even heard of it. I wish we had fundraisers like the boy scouts.
But, I only do it because the girls want to. It's not a cause I believe in.

Quoting JanetteA:

Girl Scout cookies are the WORST.   First of all it's an inferior product-- anybody can buy better cookies at a better prices.  But the way it's handled behind the scenes that bothers me.   It's supposed to be the girls who sell the cookies, but let's face it, it's mostly parents who do the background work.   Parents have to check the orders, provide transportation to pick up the cookies, store the cookies, sell any boxes left in the case, pay for any unsold boxes, pay for any shortages out of their own pockets, supervise the selling, on and on-- and of course none of the parents' outlays of time and money are ever reimbursed.      

No company in America would treat its sales reps that way, but the Girl Scouts do it year after year, and they do so claiming it's educational.  It's not-- it's exploitative.    Have you ever noticed the mailing address for the GSA national headquarters?  It's some of the most expensive real estate in New York CIty, paid for by unpaid child labor.

Thankfully I am out of that racket.  My son's Scout troop sells evergreen wreaths at CHristmas time.  It's a pretty good value, people pay by check ahead of time, and the wreath company handles 80% of the distribution.  Easy peasy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:42 PM
I'm a Girl Scout Leader and I think what whe did is bs. She or another leader should have been at the booth sale. I would never expect a parent to run one on their own & demand they pay if the money wasn't correct.
ptkds
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM
Oh, and my girls are gluten free so they haven't even tried any of the cookies except the new ones that are gluten free and cost a dollar more. Why charge a dollar more? They are expensive enough as it is!!!
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM
I feel your pain. I have never sold girl scout cookies but popcorn. I sincerely hate popcorn
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:49 PM

First, if you know for certain that you weren't short, push back. Offer to go back and help do a recount because you are certain you turned the right amount of cookies and donations in. Somehow, I think once you do, the troop leader will do some backpedaling. There isn't a reason in the world why you should have to pay $25 bucks for crappy cookies (even the Thin Mints aren't that good any more! :/ ) that you didn't buy in the first place. 

Second, prayers and healing thoughts as you go through radiation. No one needs cookie drama when facing that.

AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:50 PM
I would never hand that woman cash without a reciept. In fact, I would count it in front of her. Im sorry she's doing that to you. This is my first year doing Girl Scouts. We cant start selling at all until we get the cookies on the 5th. We're doing a booth, but the troop is doing it together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)