Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

benefits

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies

my best friends husband died a couple weeks ago. she is hurting and worrying about the future with money and bills. She makes good money as she is a nurse.  But without his income shes afraid. I know she would be able to get benefits for the kids and I finally managed to talk her into filling out the paperwork. But shes afraid how it works

Does anyone know? is it like child support or welfare where they just send you one sum a month?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:50 PM
She would have to file through social security. He should have been getting letters every year about how much she and the kids would get. She would have to show death certificate and wedding license, go through a little process and then get a check for her and separately for the kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:52 PM
Did he have life insurance? She should notify them 1st.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 5:54 PM
It comes as a check or direct deposit each month.

It is NOT welfare. She absolutely deserves to collect survivors benefits.

I suggest she puts the amount in a savings. See if she can survive well on her salary. I am a nurse and support myself, DH, and two kids. It is doable. She may be okay. Then she could build a lovely nest egg for big surprise expenses they would have planned together. Vacations, New vehicles, appliances going out, etc. It also stops of course when the kids turn 19 yet she will want to send her kids to college I am sure. I think they will get financial aid? But I am not sure. This may be a good time to get a consult with a financial advisor. She is going through a huge change. Should she adjust 401k? Take out bonds? Etc. Did she have insurance? Learning how to appropriately use those funds is huge too. My aunt just went through this. It is daunting when you are young and have kids at home.

I am so sorry for her loss and I would be so devastated.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:00 PM
Seems like no one has life insurance these days

Quoting Anonymous 2: Did he have life insurance? She should notify them 1st.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:03 PM
It's so easy and inexpensive to get term life insurance - I don't know why people don't.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Seems like no one has life insurance these days

Quoting Anonymous 2: Did he have life insurance? She should notify them 1st.
loquaciousred
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken it is a monthly amount
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:07 PM
Unless she is old enough she can't collect his social security benefits yet. But she can file on behalf of her kids.

My FIL just turned 60 and finally of age to collect his wives who has been gone for 13 years.
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:09 PM

She needs to go to the social security administration - in order to file.

It all depends on his income and how much he's paid into social security oer the years.

There is a max benefit amount - say 1800 a month - and that amount will be divided among the dependents and spouse.

I don't know if the checks all going to one home would be the same or seperate - but with my sister and I we lived in different places - so they were sent seperatly.

She gets money a check or cash into her bank account.

Not welfare, not on a tanf card, nothing like that

This is not welfare.

This is benefits her husband paid into the system - that because of his unfortunate passing will not be able to collect.

THEY ARE ENTITLED TO THIS

mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous 5: Unless she is old enough she can't collect his social security benefits yet. But she can file on behalf of her kids. My FIL just turned 60 and finally of age to collect his wives who has been gone for 13 years.

Please don't complicate this by giving false information

she is not looking to collect his SS she is speaking of survivors benefits and there is no age minimum on that.

hart57
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 6:18 PM
Here is the proper info on survivors benefits, so you are not confused

Whether or not a surviving spouse is eligible for Social Security survivor benefits depends on age and circumstances. In general, a widow or widower age 60 or older (age 50 or older if disabled) is eligible provided you were married at least nine months. However, there's no age limit if you're caring for dependent children under age 16.
Also, the deceased spouse has to have been "fully insured" at the time of death, which generally requires forty Social Security work credits or 10 years of work. (This is reduced for young workers.) So it appears that at 45 with two small children, you would qualify for survivor benefits assuming your husband was working.
The size of your benefit will depend on your husband's lifetime earnings; the more he paid into Social Security over the years, the more you'll get—up to a maximum that is adjusted each year for inflation.
However, the amount you get also depends on your age. In general, a surviving spouse at full retirement age receives 100 percent of basic benefits; at age 60 or older, but under full retirement age, a spouse receives 77 to 99 percent of benefits; at any age under 60, when caring for children less than 16, a spouse receives 75 percent of benefits.
For the record, Social Security survivor benefits stop if you remarry before age 60. Also, ex-spouses can qualify for survivor benefits under certain circumstances.

Quoting mmm2015:

Quoting Anonymous 5: Unless she is old enough she can't collect his social security benefits yet. But she can file on behalf of her kids.

My FIL just turned 60 and finally of age to collect his wives who has been gone for 13 years.

Please don't complicate this by giving false information

she is not looking to collect his SS she is speaking of survivors benefits and there is no age minimum on that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)