Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 y/o Won't Eat Dinner

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:20 PM
  • 15 Replies

We have been putting DS at the table with us since he cold sit up.  He used to be a good eater that would try anything.  The past couple of months it has been a trial to get him to eat dinner with us.  He eats breakfast on his own while I get ready for school; DH leaves for work at 6 and my older son gets on the bus at 6:30 so my 2 y/o is still asleep.  I give him his breakfast and he eats it while I get ready.  Lunch and snacks he eats at daycare, they tell me he eats well.  I do not let him snack past 3 and we usually eat dinner around 6 or 6:30.  My question is, if he won't eat his dinner, should we give him something we know he will eat, let him eat later, or let him go without?  I do not want him to be hungry but I also don't want to be wasting food trying to play a guessing game; sometimes he will eat something for a week nonstop and then the next time I try it he won't want it, so it's not always a given.  TIA. 

by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
For our toddler, we offer dinner and she has to sit at the table. Sometimes she eats, sometimes she just plays with it a bit. Either is fine with us. Usually if she doesn't eat she will want a snack a few hours later so I'll fix her a sandwich. It doesn't bother me.
LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:24 PM
He could just not be hungry. Usually they eat less and less as the day goes on.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:27 PM

He will eat when he is hungry meaning no you should serve one meal and it is his choice whether he eats it or not.  If he gets hungry later I leave his plate available until bedtime

clearlyme
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:27 PM
My son, who is almost 5 now, has always gone through phases where he skips a meal or barely eats at all for awhile and then he switches to eating constantly. I would just offer what I cooked or one alternative like a sandwich or some fruits or veggies. It stressed me of but now I know his pattern. His current thing is that he doesn't eat breakfast. I just make sure he has a good lunch and supper.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:28 PM
What time do you pick him up from day care? You can always ask what time they give snacks.

My daughter is three its been a battle with her. DS he eats and eats.

With dd she tells us she's done when she barely eats her dinner. I just say if you don't finish your dinner then you don't get no snacks at all. It works. When dh and I get done eating we will have a snack right after and she will ask for one we will be like no you didn't finish your dinner if you want one go back and sit down and eat. Works like a charm

Or if she doesn't like a certain thing like say chicken then we will be like okay you don't need to eat that but you do need to eat your veggies, or Mack and cheese
Anonymous052386
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Around 3.  I don't think that interferes though because we have an issue on the weekends too.  We do tell him he can't get down until he eats, or no milk later if he doesn't eat, but I don't think he understands that quite yet.  He just cries when we tell him that. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: What time do you pick him up from day care? You can always ask what time they give snacks. My daughter is three its been a battle with her. DS he eats and eats. With dd she tells us she's done when she barely eats her dinner. I just say if you don't finish your dinner then you don't get no snacks at all. It works. When dh and I get done eating we will have a snack right after and she will ask for one we will be like no you didn't finish your dinner if you want one go back and sit down and eat. Works like a charm.

myempyreofdirt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:32 PM
My just turned 3 year old has been doing this off and on for 6 months. It's up to you, but we don't give any extra food. He either eats the dinner I serve, or he doesn't eat. Thus far it only works sometimes, but I refuse to make dinner a power struggle, or to be a short order cook. He isn't starving. If he was, he would be waking up crying for food.
Rosehawk
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:32 PM

I'd just offer what you're eating and if he eats it, GREAT! If he doesn't, don't make him anything else.

My youngest is 20 months and meals with her are hit and miss. She's a grazer to begin with, and meals.......sigh.......She'll eat two or three bites and demand to get down. You can't force it, that causes more problems.

Like all phases, this too shall pass.......eventually.

celticgodess
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:33 PM
My 3 yo is still a pretty good eater. 6 yo was for a long time, but now goes between eating more than anyone else and barely touching anything. My rule is if you don't eat and you get hungry later, you can have veggies. Both my girls like peas and green beans and corn so it's not a punishment, but I'm not giving them crap right before bed because they chose not to eat the Arkansas worked hard to make
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 8:34 PM
My dad did that to dd she sat and cried at the dinner table and he took her and put her into her room. Once she stopped then she was back at the table.

Quoting Anonymous052386:

Around 3.  I don't think that interferes though because we have an issue on the weekends too.  We do tell him he can't get down until he eats, or no milk later if he doesn't eat, but I don't think he understands that quite yet.  He just cries when we tell him that. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: What time do you pick him up from day care? You can always ask what time they give snacks.

My daughter is three its been a battle with her. DS he eats and eats.

With dd she tells us she's done when she barely eats her dinner. I just say if you don't finish your dinner then you don't get no snacks at all. It works. When dh and I get done eating we will have a snack right after and she will ask for one we will be like no you didn't finish your dinner if you want one go back and sit down and eat. Works like a charm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)