Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's bringing a petition to school tomorrow will he get in trouble

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
My 6th grade son came home from school friday very upset. Friday was the try outs for the talent show and one of the boys in his grade didn't make it.

But here's the deal, this boy us special needs. He is in their inclusion program and does partial classes with the other students.

Now that alone should not award him the spot in the talent show, however if you saw how much it meant to him and how sad he was that he didn't make it I think you'd also be sad for him.

They announced the kids who made it at lunch. And they put the names up on the wall. My son saw this young man waiting eagerly for his name and when he didn't hear it he then proceeded to check the lists not once but 4 times during the lunch period.

My son came home so upset. I want to add that not only was this child the only special needs child to try out......he was also the only child to not make it.

My son asked me what he can do. He feels he needs to do something. He gated seeing the child so upset.

So he came up with the idea of a petition. He is going to speak to the principal first.

I'm really not sure how the school will feel about this.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Does it matter to you if he's going to be in trouble?  I would be proud he cares enough to try to get this kid a spot in the show.  

halsmommy14
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this
If he was the only one to try out and not make it, that is very wrong and something definitely needs done about it

Oh, and as a parent of a sn kid, I very much appreciate your son. You should be proud
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the critical factor here is that he was the only student to not make it.  That's a very obvious exclusion.  If it were a highly competitive situation, where 100 people tried out, but only 15 made it, that would be one thing.  Or if he was excluded because his act was inappropriate.  But in this case, they can add 5 more minutes to the program so as not to exclude one child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:25 PM
Thanks, my son has a big heart. But more than that he's really come to enjoy this boys company.

Quoting halsmommy14: If he was the only one to try out and not make it, that is very wrong and something definitely needs done about it

Oh, and as a parent of a sn kid, I very much appreciate your son. You should be proud
AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:26 PM
If he was the only child not to make it, an investigation needs done to find out why.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree.

Now to be fair, this is coming from a 12yo. But my son is a very observant person, so I do believe him that this boy was the only one big to make it.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I think the critical factor here is that he was the only student to not make it.  That's a very obvious exclusion.  If it were a highly competitive situation, where 100 people tried out, but only 15 made it, that would be one thing.  Or if he was excluded because his act was inappropriate.  But in this case, they can add 5 more minutes to the program so as not to exclude one child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:29 PM
Your son makes my heart smile. Let him take the petition. Trouble or not. He's being an advocate for another child who may not be able to speak up for himself.
jennierenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:29 PM
That's great he thought to do that. I don't see why he'd get in trouble.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:31 PM
Schools don't like to be challenged

Quoting jennierenna: That's great he thought to do that. I don't see why he'd get in trouble.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:33 PM
He sang. My son says he's always singing and it amazes my son that this boy knows all the words to so many songs, lol.

I think in this case it us enough
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)