Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm church shopping and thought I'd ask

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

Where do you go to church like what denomination, if any? What do you like/dislike about it. Also if you go to church outside your town, does anyone find it weird? For example if you go to a Lutheran church two towns over but there's a Lutheran church around the corner from your home,does anyone ever ask why you don't go there? 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:28 PM

I forgot to add I'm not looking for a conservative church. 

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I've gone mostly to a Methodist church because my mil is the pastor. I would say that I am nondenominational. I would travel for a church that I enjoyed though and I don't think anyone would ask questions.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:31 PM

We traveled for 40 minutes for three years to a church. We must have passed about ten on the way. We left that church in September though. We are Baptists and I prefer smaller churches and conservative in regards that the church teaches and preaches from the Bible. I do not care for legalistic churches and I do not like churches that are wishy-washy about what is taught. Oh and I also do not care for evangelical pastors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We moved to a new state about 2 years ago and we tried out several different churches before we landed on our home church. I can't explain it, but the very second I walked in, I knew. Dh also felt the same way. Our pastor asked us several months ago what made us decide to join and we both said we just knew. Sounds like a cop out, but for us it really was that simple. The church we attend is a United Methodist. I was raised Pentecostal (yep, like the Duggars lol...long hair and ankle length denim skits) and dh was raised Methodist. It was much easier for me to go to a Methodist church than for him to attend a Pentecostal church. Frankly they scared him lol. We've been Methodist now for about 20 years. I like them because they aren't hell fire and brimstone type...they're more love and acceptance. Truly, our church is our family. We laugh with them, we cry with them, we can miss a week and the pastor calls us Monday morning - not to be a snoop - but because he is genuinely concerned that we're okay. It's the happiest I've been in a church probably ever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:34 PM

i have a shrine in my home for meditation.  I do not have a sangha.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:35 PM
I use to go to a Lutheran Church cause that's the church my family goes to. But I have been going to a non dominant church its called first church of Christ. There are no disadvantage to the church. All great things but our minister is retiring this year after serving eight years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Me too, I'd be willing to travel but don't know how that would be perceived. As an adult I only regularly went to a non denom church so there was no other parish or branch to support. I don't know how that works with denominational churches. I'm sure I over thought it.

Quoting thenameshailie: I've gone mostly to a Methodist church because my mil is the pastor. I would say that I am nondenominational. I would travel for a church that I enjoyed though and I don't think anyone would ask questions.

tclaurend
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:36 PM
I'm Catholic. I enjoy the history, and that everything pertaining to mass has a specific purpose that comes from tradition.
The only thing I dislike is how uninformed most people are about Catholicism.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:38 PM

I've consistently heard wonderful things about United Methodists , it's impressive. It's top on my list to check out next. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

We moved to a new state about 2 years ago and we tried out several different churches before we landed on our home church. I can't explain it, but the very second I walked in, I knew. Dh also felt the same way. Our pastor asked us several months ago what made us decide to join and we both said we just knew. Sounds like a cop out, but for us it really was that simple. The church we attend is a United Methodist. I was raised Pentecostal (yep, like the Duggars lol...long hair and ankle length denim skits) and dh was raised Methodist. It was much easier for me to go to a Methodist church than for him to attend a Pentecostal church. Frankly they scared him lol. We've been Methodist now for about 20 years. I like them because they aren't hell fire and brimstone type...they're more love and acceptance. Truly, our church is our family. We laugh with them, we cry with them, we can miss a week and the pastor calls us Monday morning - not to be a snoop - but because he is genuinely concerned that we're okay. It's the happiest I've been in a church probably ever.

deborah50
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:40 PM
I was raised Catholuc and got tired of the hypocrites so I left. Married a Pentecostal preacher's son and that was a nightmare especially when a lady started yelling in the back and rolling on the floor.

Tried Bapiist and went to a Lutheran church with a friend. While everyone was friendly, I didn't feel comfortable. I now attend a non denominatioal and love it. You just need to bust a few and find what feels right for you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)