Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not paying to get ds's wisdom teeth removed

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies
My son has always been awful about keeping his teeth clean. They are down right gross. Yellow with plaque caked on. Ugh it grosses me out. I nagged him about it forever and finally gave up when he turned 18. He's an adult, he can deal with his nasty teeth.

His teeth have always been spaced very far apart. The dentist said he would have no issues with his wisdom teeth as long as they grew in right. Which they did...yay.

Well now he's got an infection and needs them removed. They grew in fine but he never brushed them right so they got infected.

Even though all of our kids are grown, we still pay for their dental procedures. It's just something we do because we feel their teeth are important. I pay for all of their dentist appointments and have paid for the few surgeries/braces etc that they've needed through out the years.

Well I'm not paying for ds to get his wisdom teeth removed. If he would have taken care of them, they wouldn't have gotten infected. I'm not paying for a procedure that could have been prevented had he just brushed his damn teeth.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:45 PM
I don't blame you
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:45 PM
It may not have been because of improper cleaning. A lot of people have perfectly healthy teeth and their wisdom teeth rot. They're supposed to be removed in most people for that reason
Spam72
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:45 PM

I wouldn't pay for adults anyway.  My mom felt teeth were important too, so she taught me to get good dental insurance.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:46 PM
Ok
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:47 PM
It's very common for Wilson teeth to not get brush right because they are so far back. But I don't blame you. If he doesn't care then to keep them nice then it's on him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Fine, your money and insurance. However this is a small financial issue on your end that could result in some other more devastating issues on your son's end if not treated.

Even though I see your point, I would still have him treated and then take up my issue with your son in the form of sweat equity.

You say your windows need washing? All of them? Each month?

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

So him dying from the infection is a good option?

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:47 PM
Yeah I wouldn't either.

How did they get infected from just not brushing though?

I'm so thankful i had mine removed at 17. I had a lot of procedural and othodontal work done stating at age 8 and if mine had grown in it would have ruined all the previous work done.
But I took really good care of my teeth.
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:48 PM
I have taken care of my teeth religiously and still had to have my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 25 years old. Got them when I was 17.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:48 PM
No...teeth don't just rot.

There are ways to clean them and most people think brushing like normal will be fine. And that's why *most* people end up needing them removed.

Quoting Anonymous 3: It may not have been because of improper cleaning. A lot of people have perfectly healthy teeth and their wisdom teeth rot. They're supposed to be removed in most people for that reason
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)