Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are going to file for visitation and legal custody.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this
My dh baby mama had a baby girl 4 months ago. We have been married for 8 years but separated for 2 years. During that time the baby was conceived. I have no issues with the BM and I adore the baby. We had her 3 days a week ( too little for overnights though) up until 2 weeks ago. BM felt like we lied to her about something stupid ( did not happen, she's delusional and I'm insulted at being called a liar) and has not responded to calls and texts. She does this when she gets mad for zero reason and does not allow dh to take the baby.

I'm sick of her crap and her having all the power. We want to help, don't push us out of her life because your life sucks.

For the record, he has always paid child support and the courts are not involved. It's time to get them involved. She has too much power she thinks and is starting to use that baby as a weapon.

Dh wants to file for custody visitation and a support order. We live in CT. Is it reasonable to not hire an attorney as we will have to meet with a mediator and try to come to a resolution the day of the hearing anyway.? I want to avoid if I can. We aren't looking for full custody but we want to have an equal say in her life.

Also, BM has no problem with me and besides this last stunt of her calling me a liar, it seemed like she preferred dealing with me over DH anyway.

Advice wanted please.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Get an attorney
DragonGirl319
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:21 AM
I guess you could try mediation and see how it goes... If she is unreasonable them back out and get a lawyer. But I don't know CT custody law...
petitekatie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:21 AM
Yup.

Quoting Talkingheads: Get an attorney
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 6, 2016 at 1:21 AM

DH needs to file for a Paternity Petition, the Courts will set up the Child Support. He needs to file for 50/50 Custody & Visitation 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:08 AM
Thank you for this. Do you know-Is it possible to put in the orders that she cannot have anyone else move in with her? She has multiple kids and a tiny apartment and wants to move her friend and his kid in. It sounds petty but it just shows she's not thinking of what's best for the kids.

Quoting Sassy762:

DH needs to file for a Paternity Petition, the Courts will set up the Child Support. He needs to file for 50/50 Custody & Visitation 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:09 AM
Have you dealt with family law/attorneys before? How much should I expect this to cost? Any ideas?

Quoting Talkingheads: Get an attorney
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:10 AM

Im not sure how that would work but an Attorney could give you accurate info.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you for this. Do you know-Is it possible to put in the orders that she cannot have anyone else move in with her? She has multiple kids and a tiny apartment and wants to move her friend and his kid in. It sounds petty but it just shows she's not thinking of what's best for the kids.
Quoting Sassy762:

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:13 AM

If I were you I would.mention this to the judge or mediator.

I would want full time custody if this were the living arrangement for my step child.

Definitely get a lawyer.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you for this. Do you know-Is it possible to put in the orders that she cannot have anyone else move in with her? She has multiple kids and a tiny apartment and wants to move her friend and his kid in. It sounds petty but it just shows she's not thinking of what's best for the kids.

Quoting Sassy762:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 2:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm more concerned that you are married? Seperated? And this is your business??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)