Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I babysit a friend's 7 year old after school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
She has been a total brat since day one. Always complaining about food being served, the fact that I make her do her homework when we get home, playing with my ds and dd. She plays with dd but bosses her around and they argue a lot. But ds is developmentally delayed and isn't quite like an average 7 year old boy. He tries so hard to play and she pushes him away or tells that he's hitting, yelling, etc.

Well the other day ds was crying to me because they were playing school and they weren't including him. So I brought him in the living room and turned his favorite movie on, then I started back to the bedrooms to talk to the girls. I heard my dd(4) ask her 'why don't you want to play with my bubba?' And the other girl said 'because I don't like playing with retards'.

I made her sit in time out while I called my friend. I told her when they pick her up that I won't be watching her anymore. She's mad at me even after I told her how her child behaves here and treats my kids no matter how many time outs I give her.

Was I in the wrong? How could I have dealt with this better? What would you have done? ?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Slick_Shoes
by Data on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I wouldn't watch the brat either. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:34 AM
Nope. Brat would need to go somewhere else and mom needs to teach her to apologize.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:34 AM
We'll she's only 7, and does your son hit her? I wouldn't want to play with somebody who was hurting me. I
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:57 AM
Nope. I once agreed to watch a friend's 7yo while he worked in the summer. It lasted two days. She was so mean to my 5yo ds. On day two she pushed him off the couch because she didn't want to play with him. That was the end.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:04 AM
Ugh, I feel your pain. I watch my neighbor girl for half an hour a day and she is horrible. She is mean to my dd and very disrespectful. I'm continuing to watch her to keep the neighborhood peace, but I check her every time she is mean, and it's a lot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM
No. I personally would have given her some time to find someone else but her daughter isn't your responsibility. Athough if your son does hit her I would understand why she's upset, it doesn't make her words ok but she's very young as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:14 AM
I wouldn't want to watch a kid like that either. I have these same kinds of issues between my sks and my ds too, so I know what you mean. It makes you angry as a mother to see some older kid treating your kids like that. If I didn't *have* to have sks around ds I wouldn't, so I wouldn't watch that girl either.
Did you tell her mom before about everything else though? She should've sat her DD down, even in front of you and laid out the rules. She should also make her DD apologize to you and your kids too!
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM
I wouldn't watch a brat at all - even if she didn't call my child names.
nassivera
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Does your kid hit and yell at her?
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:21 AM
If your child does indeed hit her, I can ujderstand why she'd feel that way, but it was wrong to say nevertheless.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)