Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever built a house?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

We are thinking of, in the distant future, building a house and we want to do a lot of research and stuff to know for sure what we are getting into etc.  

Did you build?  Did you work with a builder  to design the house?  Look at plans online?  We will not be in a subdivision so we won't have those type's of restrictions.  Would you build again or was it horrible?  

Thanks!

by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
No but I want to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:10 PM
No... my bil did, not sure what went into it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:23 PM
We built ours. We worked with a local builder and love it! All our finishes are custom and very unique!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
dh is a contractor so he's built every house our kids have lived in.

This is the first time we sold our house before building the new one. I don't like this part. We are living in a townhouse and it's weird lol the thought of a family living on the other side of the wall just doesn't sit well with me.

Other than that, it's a long process so get ready before you begin. Dh builds houses for a living so this is no different than his day to day work except he's spending money instead of making it lol

You get to choose how involved you want to be. Dh has some clients who are specific about every single detail and others who are more open to "whatever". He says the more specific ones are usually more thrilled without the outcomes though.

As long as you are willing to pay for it, your possibilities for building a house are endless.

We spent a lot of time beforehand just mapping out what we want, how much is it is, and can we afford that. In that order.

If we couldn't afford that then we started fresh and scaled down. We didn't have to scale down much but we are downsizing since we are empty nesters ;) we did buy quite a bit more of land this time though.

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Feb. 6, 2016 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
We had ours built. My dream home. I have no regrets.
AmberKS
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM

The plot of land we are looking at is 2 acres. We are living in a house right now supplied by DH's work and we just sold our house.  We can be here in this house for a couple of years.  Gives us time to research, plan, build, etc.

JaeMommy07
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 4:23 PM
We have our plot of land bought already and come spring, the building will start :) We've been meeting with a home builder and we pretty much have the whole house customised and planned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Feb. 6, 2016 at 4:24 PM
No, but I'd like to. I have a luxury log cabin in my head and I'd love to have it in real life.
Skittles2015
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 4:27 PM
My good friend did. They used a company that has pre layouts and they just customized a little from there. There house is really big amd on two gorgeous acres at the base of a mountain. I'm super jealous.
I do know though it was a very stressful process for them, with the permits and the sewer stuff. Took them a year.
I think we're gonna just buy a new house already built lol.
tklrcl2014
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 4:28 PM

We are currently.  We bought land out in a semi-secluded area and made SURE there wasn't an HOA in the neighborhood we wanted to build.  That's a big thing, if you're buying land make sure it isn't in an area with an HOA if you like having control over your home.  We used an architect that designs houses and gave our input. As for the actual construction, my Dh is doing a lot of it. Not that we can't afford to hire, but he's a construction worker and wanted to. We did hire an electrician and a plumber though.  So far it isn't that big of a headache, but we also hired several of his co-workers to help on weekends as a side job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)