Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only pb&j..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
So my nephew (he's 6) has been placed in my care after both my brother & his gf were arrested. He's been with me for a little over 2 weeks now. All he will eat is pb&j. Is there a way to try & introduce new foods to him? He will eat cereal for breakfast but every lunch & dinner has been pb&j. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this
He'll eat when he's hungry. Put banana on his sandwich. Add chips. Then add some carrot sticks with ranch. Just keep introducing new foods. If he doesn't have the option of peanut butter and jelly, he'll eventually pick something.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM

I just wouldn't. I would first limit him to only at lunch time and then once he is used to that, one pb&j a week. I would make him a healthy meal and offer him that, if he doesn't eat it, that is up to him. He is seeing a counselor?

zombienuggets
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM
Don't offer it. He will eat something else once he gets a little hungry. Maybe start with different sandwiches? My cousins were starved and their eating habits were unusual for months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd let him have what he wants. Poor kid
mamatink7
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't worry about the lunch but I'd gradually add another food along side the supper sandwich. Perhaps do only half a sandwich and add more food, this way he's still hungry after the pb&j. Try different jelly/jams will also expand his taste buds.
SDmomma-3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM
I agree. You just have to keep trying.

Quoting Ted1242: He'll eat when he's hungry. Put banana on his sandwich. Add chips. Then add some carrot sticks with ranch. Just keep introducing new foods. If he doesn't have the option of peanut butter and jelly, he'll eventually pick something.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Mac and cheese, pizza, chicken tenders, popcorn, chips, try fruits..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM
Yes that's what I'm going to have to do. At first I just felt bad so I was just giving him what he wanted but 2 weeks is long enough. He is being seen by the school counselor right now.

Quoting lenashark:

I just wouldn't. I would first limit him to only at lunch time and then once he is used to that, one pb&j a week. I would make him a healthy meal and offer him that, if he doesn't eat it, that is up to him. He is seeing a counselor?

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

He is probably experiencing stress, possibly even trauma due to his parents being arrested and him losing his  home. When kids feel that their world has gone out of control, one coping mechanism is to start controlling what they eat. 

I would just offer other food, but don't press the issue. Eventually, as he adjusts to all the overwhelming changes that have affected him... he'll eat other things. If he's still rigidly controlling what is going into his mouth after about 8 weeks, call his doctor for a referral to therapy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:55 PM
He actually went to bed hungry tonight. We had pizza & a salad for dinner. He didn't eat it & I didn't offer anything else. My kids are not picky, I've never had this issue. They eat everything.

Quoting zombienuggets: Don't offer it. He will eat something else once he gets a little hungry. Maybe start with different sandwiches? My cousins were starved and their eating habits were unusual for months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)