Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

but you're puking!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
A little while ago, I was downstairs eating my "dinner" (I'm on a very odd schedule). In fact, I was on my first bite, when I heard the bedroom door open.

Followed immediately by the sound of vomiting.

Well, I was really hungry, didn't want to lose my appetite, and, most importantly, have always believed that puking people are best left alone for the moment. I mean, what can you really do for them until they've stopped? I myself despise being asked "Are you all right?" when I'm so obviously not, and can't answer anyway.

So I continued gobbling, and, when I heard the bathroom door squeak, called out, "Sweetie, are you okay?"

In response, dh staggered downstairs to get water from the fridge. After ascertaining that it hadn't been the pizza or the cookies (both of which I made, and he praised highly, so I would be crestfallen to find that they were lethal), I followed him back upstairs. I stroked his forehead, soothed him with endearments, and generally babied him until he told me he was okay to go back to sleep.

Then and only then did he start griping at me for not having come upstairs immediately. The explanation I gave above was met only with a sarcastic projection of cops not responding to our frantic call about a break-in because "well, ma'am, our blood sugar was low".

I think he's really upset, but I don't know how he can claim I don't care. I did all that stuff for him, and I was and am genuinely concerned, even if he's not impressed with my way of showing it.

So my question is: Are you supposed to drop everything and immediately rush to the side of a puking spouse? I would assume an exception would be made for pregnant wives, but perhaps not. But in this case, was I right or wrong?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM
Well clearly he doesn't think like you do about it. So next time you know - he wants your support in the moment.

Not everyone has to be the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:53 PM
Hell no! You puke alone and don't bug them
AllTimeLowMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:55 PM
The only person I rush to when they puke is DS. I prefer to be left alone while puking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM
I run away from anyone who is puking. I can't handle it. I might grab a glass of water when their done, but most likely not.
Dh has only been around me 2x's puking and both times he was very attentive, which is rare any other time
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM
Nope. I leave everyone alone or else we'll both be puking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:58 PM

No, I'm with you . . . Puking isn't a group activity or a spectator sport.

Even with DS, once he was school-age (aka, old enough that I wasn't worried about him choking), I'd wait outside the bathroom and only come in after the episode, to help him clean up, get water, etc.  I do the same with DH.  I shout "are you OK? can I get you anything?" from the other room.

BamaMomto4
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 9:59 PM
I would have done the same thing you did. Mostly because if I went as soon as I heard dh puking I would probably be puking too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Lol no. He is a capable big boy, he can handle his bodily functions himself.
cheekacheeka
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:06 PM
I hate HATE being asked if I'm okay when I'm puking. But, DH knows that. He'll still try to make me comfortable any way he can. Sometimes, just him standing there waiting with a wet rag and a glass of water makes me feel better. Just don't talk or ask me questions.
Knowing now that he obviously wants the moral support I would be more attentive next time.
DarksMama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 10:07 PM
Puking is def NOT a group effort.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)