Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm a hypocrite?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

My friend and I were talking about having a mental illness and having certian jobs.  i dont know what started this convo though.  I am always advocating for eqal rights for those who are mentally ill.  but i said that if you do have a mental illness, you shouldn't have jobs like cops, and stuff like that.  My friend said that i was hypocrite for feeling that way.  its  not like i feel this way because im scared that a person  with a mental illness can go crazy and have a gun on them.    I feel this way because if you have to be physically fit to get the job, you should have to be mentally fit for it too. 

by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigmouthbabe
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:11 PM
I don't think that makes you a hypocrite. Just one of many labels thrown around.
Barronbaby
by Brandi on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM
I don't think that makes you a hypocrite.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM
A person with a mental illness shouldn't have a gun. That sounds like common sense to me.
l.a.m.b
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM

BUMP!

blue.butterfly
by on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it doesn't make you a hypocrite and most of those jobs require psych evaluations or a reason. Many who want to get into law enforcement do not pass. 

shell3m
by Shell on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM
I agree
l.a.m.b
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1: A person with a mental illness shouldn't have a gun. That sounds like common sense to me.

i think some shouldnt. i have access to one, but i fucking hate guns with a passion, im scared of them. 

l.a.m.b
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Cops have to take a psychological examination before they get hired. If you're mentally ill they won't hire you. That doesn't mean that there aren't people who fly under the radar and get hired because they camaflauged their mental illness.
Dardenella
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2016 at 11:19 PM

I would suppose it would depend on the mental illness.  There are a lot of things that qualify as mental illness that would not hamper some from dog their job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)