Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there such a thing as cleaning to much?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Here's a little confession about 8 years ago I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and hoarding. After much therapy and medication I learnt to control these issues.

However recently I've been under a lot of stress with my disabled son. I've found that I'm cleaning constantly ... even when there's nothing to clean I'll reclean stuff I've just done. I'm vaccuming and mopping up to 5 times a day. Cleaning toilets 2 times a day. Washing walls almost constantly. It's getting to the point where I'm getting up in the middle of the night to clean my kitchen sink even though it's spotless. I'm even planning on repainting the house because I feel like I can't get the walls clean.

DH thinks I should go and talk to someone however my mother tells me its just being house proud.

Is there such a thing as to much cleaning?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Please listen to your husband
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Obsessive compulsive habits can take many forms. You dealt with the symptoms, but you didn't treat the disorder.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:31 AM
I was told by my therapist hoarding is like alcoholism ... you can treat it but it can't be cured. What's worrying me is my youngest son has taken to walking around the house with the vaccumm and DH found him yesterday scrubbing the walls with a toothbrush.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Obsessive compulsive habits can take many forms. You dealt with the symptoms, but you didn't treat the disorder.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:59 AM
A clean house is always nice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:40 AM

bump

TardisTraveler
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:42 AM
Yes. You transferred your anxiety from hoarding to cleaning .... Don't get me wrong, I cleAn 3 times a day. I support super cleaners but yours is not healthy. You need to find a happy median.
I hope you get the help to be in a comfortable place.
Johnsmom5892
by Hope on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:46 AM
Getting up in the middle of the night to clean isn't normal. This happened to my cousin and she had to see a doctor. She is good now but she wouldn't stop cleaning things over and over.
702girly
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:50 AM

You need help and that's nothing to be ashamed of. I hope you get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this
That's way too much. You are risking damaging your floors and walls, especially if your floors are wood.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:03 AM

Quoting 702girly:

You need help and that's nothing to be ashamed of. I hope you get it.

I'm not really ashamed ... more not sure what normal is. My mother is a clean freak, as in she works full time but still cleans for 3 or 4 hours a day. She always says if your house doesn't look like you're just about to have a magazine shoot in it then you're lazy ... her house is sterile. So I've never really known any sort of middle ground. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)