Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Flying overseas for the first time.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
I have flown a total of 3 times lol. All domestically. In 1996, 1999 and 2012. I am about to fly to Sweden in August (yes, 5 months away, but I am anxious here lol) I will be alone, meeting up with friends there.

What are your tips for flying internationally? I am also a little bit of a nervous flyer :/. Help!!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:52 AM

I'm no help, i usually have to take anti anxiety meds for flying even flying to somewhere else in the U.S.

i would say bring lots to do if you dont plan on sleeping.  laptop, books, stuff like that.  

try to sleep at the time when its night time for Sweden, depending on the time you leave.  it will help with jet lag.  

good luck and have fun!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:53 AM
If you have layovers, they should be between 2 and 3 hours long. You don't want longer or shorter. I'd bring music and a book, also toiletries and maybe a change of clothes in your carry on, so you can look halfway decent when you step off the plane. I have wine with dinner on the plane, and that helps me doze off for a few hours.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:55 AM
I'm hoping there's a way to charge my iPad. Because that's where 99% of my books are lol. I also heard there's movies. Damn. I'm dumb when it comes to this crap lol. My OCD is kicking in and I'm already making lists :/ thanks ladies! I may take a sleeping pill lol.
Racer15
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:01 AM
Looking back, I should have taken something to knock me out. I left the us around 4:30 pm and got to England at 6:00 am. I barely slept and by 2:00 pm I was dragging ass. Even something mild like Zquil would have probably made me sleep a bit more but I didn't think about it at the time. And I had a whole row to myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:03 AM
Oh that sounds good (the row to yourself). Last time I fliew with my daughter. So she wa next to me. I'm thinking wine or sleeping meds lol. I want to visit England. My DHs work has an office in London. I'd love to go. But I'd like to bring the kids there. That'd be a great experience!

Quoting Racer15: Looking back, I should have taken something to knock me out. I left the us around 4:30 pm and got to England at 6:00 am. I barely slept and by 2:00 pm I was dragging ass. Even something mild like Zquil would have probably made me sleep a bit more but I didn't think about it at the time. And I had a whole row to myself.
Racer15
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:06 AM
You should definitely get there sometime! It was my college graduation present to myself, went to London,York, Braintree, had a great time. But Sweden sounds amazing too!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:09 AM
That sounds fun! I have a couple friends there. So that may help lol. I'm also hoping to find out more about my heritage while there.

Quoting Racer15: You should definitely get there sometime! It was my college graduation present to myself, went to London,York, Braintree, had a great time. But Sweden sounds amazing too!
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:11 AM
I have a whole bunch of hints but am going to sleep now. This is my place saver post.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:12 AM
Ha. It's after 1am. I should be sleeping too. Goodnight! And thanks!

Quoting ejkdmom: I have a whole bunch of hints but am going to sleep now. This is my place saver post.
blue.butterfly
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:26 AM

So excited for you. Sweden is amazing! August is perfect for it! 

I bring my iPad with books and tv shows and movies, and maybe even some magazines. Once I flew to Sydney and had 4 American fashion magazines with me, and at the end of the trip started talking to a young man sitting beside me who was suppose to, but forgot, bring Amierica fashion magazines to his girlfriend. I piled all 4 of mine in his lap and said, "Now she won't get mad at you." lol He asked if I was sure and thanked me. 

Usually, even in coach, you have lots of movies to choose from for entertainment.

I bring my own little pair of slippers, something to wash my face, whether it's a trial size bottle of cetaphil or those make up wipes. Cannot stand sleeping in make up or not freshening up before sleeping or landing. They'll give you a little kit with a toothbrush and paste and an eye mask for sleeping and ear plugs. I often bring ambien or melatonin with me so I can get some sleep on the plane or I am wrecked by the time I get to my destination. Travel size hand cream is helpful too. Skin gets so dry in the cabin. 

Oh, and on the last international flight I took there was a place to charge my iPad. :)

Enjoy! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)