Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

American language vs the original English

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
3 moms liked this

Hey ya'll!  Come let your heads explode at all the ways people of other countries can challenge what you think you know about language. Maybe next time you wont look like such idiots. Also, lets not forget who started the English language, so us Americans are essentially the wrong ones. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 5:59 AM

I've heard American is a very hard language to learn..harder than English.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:04 AM

lol a lot of people say its illogical and it makes no sense 

Quoting 143myboys9496:

143myboys9496
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:05 AM

That's exactly it...home, comb...lol

Quoting Anonymous 1:

lol a lot of people say its illogical and it makes no sense 

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Jblb
by Emerald Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:20 AM
Yesterday on my radio station they had an American on. He had to answer 5 questions and only got one half right. One of the questions was, "how do you spell neighbour?" He of course spelt it with no U, and then the radio DJ was telling him about how the rest of the world spells it with the letter U. It was funny, but I'm pretty sure the dude felt pretty stupid.
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:22 AM
Also, people on this site go batshit crazy over a misspelt word. When, it's not even spelled incorrectly.
AmyAndLanie
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:24 AM
Aw poor dude. It's always fun to be the butt of an international joke

Quoting Jblb: Yesterday on my radio station they had an American on. He had to answer 5 questions and only got one half right. One of the questions was, "how do you spell neighbour?" He of course spelt it with no U, and then the radio DJ was telling him about how the rest of the world spells it with the letter U. It was funny, but I'm pretty sure the dude felt pretty stupid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:27 AM
I'm American and flip flop between spelling words the English and American way. I usually use the U in words like colour and neighbour, and spell words like realise with an S. Grey/gray is dependent on my mood. My son almost exclusively spells the English way and has gotten fussed at at school for it.
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:33 AM
He took it well, and even though he lost, he is still welcome to move to our country when Trump wins!

Quoting AmyAndLanie: Aw poor dude. It's always fun to be the butt of an international joke

Quoting Jblb: Yesterday on my radio station they had an American on. He had to answer 5 questions and only got one half right. One of the questions was, "how do you spell neighbour?" He of course spelt it with no U, and then the radio DJ was telling him about how the rest of the world spells it with the letter U. It was funny, but I'm pretty sure the dude felt pretty stupid.
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:33 AM
He took it well, and even though he lost, he is still welcome to move to our country when Trump wins!

Quoting AmyAndLanie: Aw poor dude. It's always fun to be the butt of an international joke

Nikidu
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Between being obsessed with English history and BBC shows, I already knew these things. As a result, I just sit back in bemused horror when I watch my fellow Americans lose it over "misspelled" words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)