Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She's not really doing anything

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:29 AM
  • 16 Replies
I'm kind of concerned with the prenatal care I'm "receiving." This is my 4th baby and every other time, whether I've used an obstetrician or a midwife, they've at least checked weight, blood pressure, urine, fetal heart rate, and measured my belly.

I'm almost 28 weeks and so far I've just had one ultrasound to determine how far along (lasted all of 2 mins) and have had blood pressure, weight, urine, and fetal heart rate checked. They also sent me off for optional genetic disorder testing and glucose tolerance test. They've never once measured my belly, never had a pap, haven't done a level 2 ultrasound/anatomy scan, and my appointments are literally check heart rate, any questions, ok bye.

Is this normal? Because my other experiences have felt more personal, you know? I feel like they really haven't done much.
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Americanwoman3
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:32 AM
Sounds to me like an overbooked doctor and I would switch.
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:33 AM
I'd find a new doctor. Not normal.
Salut123
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:35 AM

It is normal in Canada.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:36 AM

its normal to not do a pap if one has been done in the last year, they will wait if it was close.

other than that i am not certain, is this the first baby with this doctor?

Orionsbell
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:36 AM
My docs never measured my belly until I was third trimester.
cheribabii831
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM
Yes. We moved to a different area and it's too far for me to go back to either of my last two. I usually go with a midwife but the only midwives here either only assist home births, which isn't an option right now, or don't accept my insurance.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

its normal to not do a pap if one has been done in the last year, they will wait if it was close.

other than that i am not certain, is this the first baby with this doctor?

Libby22
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I would insist on the anatomy scan, but my doctor didn't measure fundal height until my third trimester when it's more reliable.
cheribabii831
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:55 AM
Maybe that's how they do things here. I've always been to an OB/CNM that does all sorts of stuff. My visits usually took at least 30 mins. Here, I feel like it's rushed and she's just like, "ok have any questions? See you back in 4 weeks!" That's another thing. I don't remember 100% but I believe first trimester was monthly visits, second was biweekly, and third was weekly? She still has me coming in monthly.

Quoting Orionsbell: My docs never measured my belly until I was third trimester.
xixCandyxix
by Candy on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM
Maybe she's not spending much time with you because it's your 4th baby and you're not high risk. That's how it was my my 3rd. Except I had gestational diabetes too mild to treat. So my appointments were 5 mins and gone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:03 AM
I'm 26 weeks now, just started the biweekly visits. She just measured my stomach. I had a pap but that's probably because it's been almost 2 years since my last. I also just had the anatomy scan about a week ago. I'd ask about the ultrasound but other than that seems normal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)