Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you change his name?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

We have been fostering a baby since he was three months old.  He is 9 months old now and it looks like we will be able to adopt him and his brother who we are also fostering.  We have called the baby by his initials all his life because his name is terrible.  We have have been discussing changing his name. 

The he older boy is three and has a fairly normal name and while not a favorite it fits him very well.  He is a sweet kid. He is completely deaf.  

Both kids were removed due to neglect.  The parents haven't done anything to get them back.  They haven't even shown up for court according to our caseworker.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:57 AM
Once the adoption is final I would change the baby's name.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this
He's little enough to change it, but now I'm curious about this name that's so awful.
Lillibella
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:57 AM
I would change it. Good luck with the adoption.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 8:59 AM
This! What's the name?

Quoting Danesmommy1: He's little enough to change it, but now I'm curious about this name that's so awful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:00 AM

His dad was a fan of wizards.  Starts with an M.  

Quoting Danesmommy1: He's little enough to change it, but now I'm curious about this name that's so awful.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:02 AM
A member of my family adopted preschool aged children and they changed their names. They discussed their list with the kids and took their opinions into account.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:02 AM
I would change the baby's name.
PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Is it Merlyn? or however its spelt.

I knew a couple who lost their kid to CAS and he was adopted out, his name was Merlyn, it is such a horrible name. This kid was about 2-3 when he was taken though!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes change it. Maybe make the original name his middle name if you want to give him a piece of his history. I'd probably change the three year olds name too...maybe to something similar but more my style.
Merry-Jane
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Merlin is not that bad. How terrible you won't call a child by their given name just because YOU don't like it. That's a pretty cuntish move.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)