Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you think if your child's teacher did this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies
My ds is in 2nd grade. He made a 96 on a spelling test last week. She sent it home and said he could correct it for extra credit. He chose not to. The next day she sends a note home about responsibility and taking steps at home to fix the issue. What issue???? He didn't do extra credit on an assignment where he made an A... What is the problem?

She then makes him stay in at recess to correct the words. I am not happy about this. Why would you punish a straight A student over extra credit? I didn't sign the condescending letter like she wanted me to because I thought it was ridiculous. So she tells him that if he doesn't bring it back signed then he will have lonely lunch. What the hell? I wrote a note that said "This is my signature acknowledging that he didn't do extra credit on his A paper. Do not give him lonely lunch."

What would you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM
She's crazy, that's what I'd think
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Id go have a chat with her.
Let her know that she gave it as an option not an assignment.
disneymom2two
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Personally, I'd have had my kid fix it because it's good practice.  However, extra credit is typically optional by the school so I think the teacher was out of line keeping him in at recess and threatening "lonely lunch".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this
I would arrange a brief meeting to discuss it. If she expects it to be done it should be treated as a required assignment. Punishing a child for not doing optional work is unacceptable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

She gave him a CHOICE, she doesn't get to reprimand or discipline him for not choosing the option she wanted him to. It's no longer a choice then. If she wanted this done she should have demanded it. Since she didn't she and I would be having a talk.

MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:01 AM
I would set her butt straight and send her the article about homework doing more harm than good for our elementary kids!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:01 AM
That's why I'm thinking. She is always sending condescending notes home. He's been a few minutes late to school maybe 3 times this year. Each time she has sent a note home explaining to me what time school starts. Lady... I KNOW what time school starts. If he's late, it was for a reason, get over it.

Quoting shadow_lark: She's crazy, that's what I'd think
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM
I would call or email her to ask why he is being punished over extra credit. If she wants to make correcting mandatory that's her right, but if she wants to call it extra credit she can't force anyone to do it.
12345abcde54321
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:04 AM
I would think she's petty and annoying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Yeah, I normally do have him correct them. But he had just finished 3.5 hours of makeup work from being absent with a stomach bug. So I cut him a break, even though it was just 2 words, lol.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Personally, I'd have had my kid fix it because it's good practice.  However, extra credit is typically optional by the school so I think the teacher was out of line keeping him in at recess and threatening "lonely lunch".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)