Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Photographer moms?? Question!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I have a Nikon D5000 and for the life of me.. I just don't know what the hell i'm doing! lol!!

I have been trying to figure out just how to focus on my subject and blur out the background for the longest time, but I just can't figure this out? There are so many settings and i'm just so confused. I'm not trying to do this professionally or anything of that nature, just for myself as a hobby. I obviously don't have a talent for it, but I still enjoy it... I refuse to give up on figuring this out. Can anyone help me figure out how to do this??

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Youtube videos would be more helpful than us trying to explain it.

sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM

There are TONS of forums on the web that would give you better directions. It takes time to learn how to use DSLRs. I'm still learning my Sony Alpha 6000.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Ok! Can you tell me what the technique is called so I know what to search for? Or does it have a name lol

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Youtube videos would be more helpful than us trying to explain it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Look up and study these words to begin with:

Aperture
Shutter speed
ISO

You need to fully understand this exposure triangle, and know how to change each setting on your camera.

To answer your question, to blur the background, you need your Aperture to be wide open. For a big aperture, you choose the smallest numbers (f stop). At 1.8, you can create a pretty bokeh. You have to be careful with that large of an aperture, though, because if your subject is turned even slightly, the back eye will be out of focus, depending on how wide open you are.
salleem
by Reddlace on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM

What lens are you using on your Nikon? 

Mrs.Wilk32
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM
This! Until you understand what all of these mean and start practicing with them your camera will be very frustrating.

Look up Josh Dunlop at Expertphotography.com

His book Photography Unlocked is amazing! It teaches you all of this in a way that's super easy to understand.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Look up and study these words to begin with:

Aperture
Shutter speed
ISO

You need to fully understand this exposure triangle, and know how to change each setting on your camera.
eztwins
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM
Understanding iso, aperture and shutter speed are important to achieve this. It's best done in manual mode however you can start on aperture mode. You need your aperture set to a wider setting...1.8, 2.0, 2.2.

It also depends on your focal length and how fast a lens you are working with. Distance from you to you subject and distance of your subject to their background will also effect bokeh...blurry background.

Bryan peterson's book understanding exposure is a fantastic book to help learn how to use your camera. And reading the manual is essential
DallasCowboys81
by Don't live in Texas! on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM
Just keep playing with it. I have a cannon xs rebel. I just got an extra zoom lense and I have yet to really play with it. Lol its frustraiting I know. Good luck.
lapcounter
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM
Read your manual, YouTube also look on Amazon in books type in the camera you have and it should show books about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)