Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Design help!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

Mobile Photo

Moving into our new house in a few weeks and we can't decide where to put some things. We are planning on putting the tv over the fireplace. Where would you put the couch? We plan on getting a sectional, our couch now is too small and old. Hard to tell from the pic but the room is about 13ft wide and that little half wall is about 7ft long.

Thanks!!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:57 AM

I'd put the couch on the side w/ the windows.  That way it doesn't visually block the space.  

PoisonEyeV
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:59 AM

If you're putting the tv above the fireplace, I would assume the best place to put the sofa would be in front of it...facing the tv. That doesn't seem like a space where you can pull off a bunch of different things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:07 AM
I'd rather not put the tv there but Dh has his heart set in it and well...whatever lol I just hate that if we put it in front, it visually cuts off the room but off to the side is awkward when watching tv. Not to mention I have to figure out where to put all of my toddlers toys. This house is already annoying me...well really just the living room but still...that's like the most important room for us.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

If you're putting the tv above the fireplace, I would assume the best place to put the sofa would be in front of it...facing the tv. That doesn't seem like a space where you can pull off a bunch of different things.

PoisonEyeV
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:09 AM

You should eventually do this...would look nice.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'd rather not put the tv there but Dh has his heart set in it and well...whatever lol I just hate that if we put it in front, it visually cuts off the room but off to the side is awkward when watching tv. Not to mention I have to figure out where to put all of my toddlers toys. This house is already annoying me...well really just the living room but still...that's like the most important room for us.
Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Is this the only living room?  

Drapes!  Something dramatic, start slightly above the window and go to the floor.  

Here is my really terrible artist rendering...but this is what I would do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:13 AM
oOo...that is nice!! Thanks for the idea!!

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

You should eventually do this...would look nice.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'd rather not put the tv there but Dh has his heart set in it and well...whatever lol I just hate that if we put it in front, it visually cuts off the room but off to the side is awkward when watching tv. Not to mention I have to figure out where to put all of my toddlers toys. This house is already annoying me...well really just the living room but still...that's like the most important room for us.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:15 AM
That gives me some ideas, thanks!

There is a room for the "formal" living room at the front of the house when you first walk in the house. Still have no idea what we're going to do with that room.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Is this the only living room?  

Drapes!  Something dramatic, start slightly above the window and go to the floor.  

Here is my really terrible artist rendering...but this is what I would do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I would consider knocking out that half wall. It visually disrupts the flow of the entire space and doesn't provide really any purpose. The difference in flooring does enough to separate the two spaces. But that's just me! I also like the other recommendations you are getting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM
We have talked about doing that but eventaully. We have a HUUUUGE list of other things we want to do and that's low on our list but I do want to do that.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Personally, I would consider knocking out that half wall. It visually disrupts the flow of the entire space and doesn't provide really any purpose. The difference in flooring does enough to separate the two spaces. But that's just me! I also like the other recommendations you are getting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)