Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Organization!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I seriously can't take it anymore... I have been slowly reorganizing and decluttering the house, VERY slowly as I have a barely one month old (today!) and was high risk while pregnant, but I'm finally starting to feel almost back to somewhat normal.
It's a struggle for me honestly. I've never been very organized especially since having kids, nothing horrible or anything like that but definitely can use improvements. And it's something I'm working on. The only thing I don't struggle with is keeping up with appointments/events/who needs to be where and when lol.
So help me out with some tips on getting and STAYING there, especially with 4 kids
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Somebody is going to tell you to try Flylady, which is great if you like your organization tips with a heaping helping of hugging and crying.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Decluttering is essential.  Have a place for everything, and everything in it's place - trite but true.

If your kids are in sports, have a bag for each sport - stuff for that sport is kept IN the bag.  Put your kids in charge of some stuff - even a two year old should be able to take a pile of shirts and place them in her/his "shirt drawer."

Use technology - when papers come home from school, put dates of events and such into the computer/phone, and ditch the paper.  Sign papers that need to be returned immediately.

Teach the kids to eat/drink in one place, and to return cups/plates/glasses to the kitchen counter.  Again, even a small child can do this.

With 4 kids (I also have 4) you need a routine for everything.  Snacks, bedtime, everything.

Always do the dishes after a meal - it really does make everything else easier.  And speaking of meals, especially with a newborn, do prep work throughout the day.  Chop veggies.  Make a sauce.  Set the table.  There were many times I was chopping veggies at 10 in the morning for our 7 pm dinner.

Sort laundry daily, and accept the fact that you will do laundry every day for awhile.  If you sort it into bins daily, it's easy to see when you have enough for a load to be done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM
I tried it St one point and just couldn't do it lol I was too overwhelmed by it... Maybe after I finish decluttering it won't seem as bad?

Quoting corticosteroid:

Somebody is going to tell you to try Flylady, which is great if you like your organization tips with a heaping helping of hugging and crying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM
We have a lot of baby stuff (tons of boy clothes and the like and just had a girl!) I'm getting rid of, I have tossed a few things, have a donate pile and a pile of stuff I listed to sell and if it doesn't sell within a certain time it'll be added to the donate pile.
Only one in a sport and his stuff has to stay in his bag because he goes back and forth between here and his dad's, thankfully it just ended so no more until next year :)
We load the dishwasher as we use fdishes and no food or drinks allowed out of the kitchen/dining room except movie night... It's definitely saved my sanity because I'm no longer finding crumbs or cups in the living room. And fortunately I was smart enough to prep some freezer meals before she was born plus we eat at my mom's 2-3 nights a week. I've done minimal cooking and can probably go another 2 or so weeks. Then I'll need to start cooking again of course.
Laundry.. Ugh. My biggest problem is getting it out away lol. I've slowly started giving everyone their own laundry day, because of situation with ds7 he has his own basket and own laundry day already. Obviously with 6 people in the house (3 being boys who love to get as dirty as possible) plus bedding, towels, and diapers there's a LOT and usually Sunday I end up with my washer and dryer running most of the day :(

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Decluttering is essential.  Have a place for everything, and everything in it's place - trite but true.

If your kids are in sports, have a bag for each sport - stuff for that sport is kept IN the bag.  Put your kids in charge of some stuff - even a two year old should be able to take a pile of shirts and place them in her/his "shirt drawer."

Use technology - when papers come home from school, put dates of events and such into the computer/phone, and ditch the paper.  Sign papers that need to be returned immediately.

Teach the kids to eat/drink in one place, and to return cups/plates/glasses to the kitchen counter.  Again, even a small child can do this.

With 4 kids (I also have 4) you need a routine for everything.  Snacks, bedtime, everything.

Always do the dishes after a meal - it really does make everything else easier.  And speaking of meals, especially with a newborn, do prep work throughout the day.  Chop veggies.  Make a sauce.  Set the table.  There were many times I was chopping veggies at 10 in the morning for our 7 pm dinner.

Sort laundry daily, and accept the fact that you will do laundry every day for awhile.  If you sort it into bins daily, it's easy to see when you have enough for a load to be done.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Honestly, I stick to the principle of less being more.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I tried it St one point and just couldn't do it lol I was too overwhelmed by it... Maybe after I finish decluttering it won't seem as bad?
Quoting corticosteroid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM
We were supposed to do a big full house decluttering this weekend but my mom is taking one of my sisters (my biggest helper usually! Especially now not being able to lift stuff and dh has been gone 13-14 hours a day, 6 days a week) on a huge grocery trip and dh is babysitting for mom so I'll be home with 3 kids 4 and under, one of which has SPD and slight delays... I'm going to set my goal much smaller of completing the living room/foyer and sorting through their toy boxes instead. Ds4 has been a "super helper" in school and at home the past two months so I definitely think we can get it done. Save the rest for another day :)

Quoting corticosteroid:

Quoting Anonymous 1: I tried it St one point and just couldn't do it lol I was too overwhelmed by it... Maybe after I finish decluttering it won't seem as bad?

Quoting corticosteroid:

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM

My advice would be to hire some help at this point.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We were supposed to do a big full house decluttering this weekend but my mom is taking one of my sisters (my biggest helper usually! Especially now not being able to lift stuff and dh has been gone 13-14 hours a day, 6 days a week) on a huge grocery trip and dh is babysitting for mom so I'll be home with 3 kids 4 and under, one of which has SPD and slight delays... I'm going to set my goal much smaller of completing the living room/foyer and sorting through their toy boxes instead. Ds4 has been a "super helper" in school and at home the past two months so I definitely think we can get it done. Save the rest for another day :)
Quoting corticosteroid:

Quoting corticosteroid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM
If we could, I probably would... But business is slow right now and I don't want to risk pulling the money just in case.

Quoting corticosteroid:

My advice would be to hire some help at this point.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We were supposed to do a big full house decluttering this weekend but my mom is taking one of my sisters (my biggest helper usually! Especially now not being able to lift stuff and dh has been gone 13-14 hours a day, 6 days a week) on a huge grocery trip and dh is babysitting for mom so I'll be home with 3 kids 4 and under, one of which has SPD and slight delays... I'm going to set my goal much smaller of completing the living room/foyer and sorting through their toy boxes instead. Ds4 has been a "super helper" in school and at home the past two months so I definitely think we can get it done. Save the rest for another day :)

Quoting corticosteroid:

Quoting corticosteroid:

oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:09 PM
Holy shit, thank you. I prefer to organize without inspirational quotes and anecdotes about the dead relatives this stuff belonged to.

Quoting corticosteroid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)