Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-Gun Advocate Accidentally Shot by Her 4-Year-Old Son.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies
A woman who is a public pro-gun advocate was accidentally shot by her 4-year-old son while driving on Tuesday.

Jamie Gilt, who has a Facebook page called “Jamie Gilt for Gun Sense,” was hospitalized after the shooting and is in stable condition, CNN reports. Ironically, the shooting happened just a day after Jamie wrote about her son’s excitement over using a gun. “Even my 4-year-old gets jacked up to target shoot with the .22,” she said during an online debate about using guns for self-defense.
The Florida resident was discovered by a sheriff’s deputy, who noticed her motioning for help from the driver’s side of her truck, which was parked partially on the road.

"She was sitting in the driver seat and he was in the back seat, behind her. He shot straight through,” Capt. Joseph Wells tells CNN. “The bullet entered her lower back and exited through her abdominal area. It went through her and we recovered the round inside the vehicle. It was a .45 caliber [handgun].”

“While this mother survived, she and her son will have to live with the aftermath of this traumatic shooting,” Watts says. “Unintentional child shootings happen entirely too frequently in our country. That's why it's up to us—parents, gun owners and non-gun owners alike—to responsibly store firearms so that curious children don't get their hands on them."

According to Everytown for Gun Safety data, there have already been 48 unintentional incidences of children shooting people in 2016, with 27 injuries and 21 deaths.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM
6 moms liked this
I hope she's charged and that the little boy is placed with people who give a shit about his safety. He easily could have shot himself or some innocent person because his idiotic "gun sensible" mother left a loaded gun in his reach. It might have been an "accident" on the toddler's part, but it was pure negligence on hers.
CampHarris
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM
Yeah, the irony is just too much there.

She clearly shouldn't have been promoting "gun sense" when she obviously didn't have much herself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM
Officials haven’t been able to speak to Jamie yet due to her hospitalization, but she might be in legal trouble. A statement released by the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office on Wednesday points out that Florida law makes it a misdemeanor for anyone to store or leave a loaded gun in a place where a child could access it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I hope she's charged and that the little boy is placed with people who give a shit about his safety. He easily could have shot himself or some innocent person because his idiotic "gun sensible" mother left a loaded gun in his reach. It might have been an "accident" on the toddler's part, but it was pure negligence on hers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM
She sounds smart...not and this is why I don't believe in this ridiculous second ammendment
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, lucky he shot her and not himself. Senseless.

Quoting CampHarris: Yeah, the irony is just too much there.

She clearly shouldn't have been promoting "gun sense" when she obviously didn't have much herself.
-White.Rabbit-
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:00 PM

I'm very much "pro-gun" but people like this drives me nuts. I'm glad the boy and mother survived her stupidity. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this
This, I don't feel one bit sorry for her but her child deserves a family that will keep him safe.

MORE guns would have surely prevented this!

Quoting Anonymous 2: I hope she's charged and that the little boy is placed with people who give a shit about his safety. He easily could have shot himself or some innocent person because his idiotic "gun sensible" mother left a loaded gun in his reach. It might have been an "accident" on the toddler's part, but it was pure negligence on hers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM
This is the exact reason I don't want to be responsible for a gun. Even though I would be a lot smarter then this lady; my 4 year old would have no knowledge I even owned a gun.

Quoting Anonymous 3: She sounds smart...not and this is why I don't believe in this ridiculous second ammendment
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
One idiot doesn't represent most gun owners.
CampHarris
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM
That was my first thought too. What an idiot.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I agree, lucky he shot her and not himself. Senseless.

Quoting CampHarris: Yeah, the irony is just too much there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)