Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No, your toddler walking down the street alone is NOT normal. ***Update, guess what mom was doing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 237 Replies

Poll

Question: Has there ever been an incident with your toddler child managing to get outside and way form the house on their own?

Options:

yes

no

it's complicated (explain below)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 448

View Results

Has your kid ever gotten outside on their own and actually gone away from the house?  If so, was it a big deal to you?

My cousin's wife had a situation where their 2 year old daughter managed to get outside on her own, and was found wandering down the street by a neighbor.

This doesn't makes her a bad mom, the "it's no big deal" attitude she has indicates that she might not be living up to her mommy potential.  He was mad when he found out and they got in a small fight, but she just blew the whole thing off saying "it happens all the time"

Uh no.  Maybe it does happens, but I imagine when it does happen it scares the crap out of the poor mom, and she thinks of it as a very big deal.  I would.

UPDATE: OMG

My cousin called me last night.  He got a text from the neighbor who called the police and got his daughter.  The neighbor said when she brought the kid back the house stunk like weed.

So he did some digging, and found out that at the time the toddler was outside on the street along, his wife was online playing some online fantasy game.  The neighbor called police at 1:34, and he says she had been online from 11:15-2:00.

I don't know how he can look this stuff up, but he is distraught.  He says she likes smoking weed and playing online games, but wasn't supposed to be doing it while watching their kids.  Then he asked if I would watch the baby for him during the day, and what should he do about it.

I have no clue wtf to tell him.

I just said I'd watch the toddler, that it's his call, and his family, and I support whatever he does, but yeah, that can't be happening. Not cool

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM
No 4 kids never happend
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it never did.  And I had very adventurous kids, even as toddlers, who were always finding new and unique ways to hurt themselves.

imyourPuppy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM
My kids never did, but my niece did. She went outside to play, by himself. I was horrified.
FBomber76
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I put locks on our doors too high up for him to reach. Our house is very open and sound travels. Even if he tried to pull a chair over I would hear him. I have heard strories, "well, he pulled  a chair over. And you didn't HEAR that?!? Seriously? Usually it comes down to a parent just not paying attention at all. They are off doing something else, without an eye on their child, for long periods of time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Many times.... ok, like 3 or 4.

Scared the crap out of me every single time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

she went out to play by himself?

Quoting imyourPuppy: My kids never did, but my niece did. She went outside to play, by himself. I was horrified.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:26 PM
DS never did this but I found a neighbor kid who did once. I took her back home to a very freaked out mother.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:26 PM

My kids ride the train to school by themselves starting at 3....but they never just wandered off.

AmandaD88
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:26 PM

only onnce did my two year old "escape the house" and thats cause he wanted to know what i was doing, lol i took the trash out, i turn around and here he comes running saying "what you doing" lol. But he has never gotten out and been alone like that...

left.drowning
by Fix Me on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
3 kids. Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)