Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If You Can't Leave Your Children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 187 Replies
6 moms liked this
.....then something is seriously wrong. If you have a child that is eight or ten or twelve years old, and you can't leave them at home alone for a couple of hours, then you are seriously failing at this thing we call parenting. Unless a child has special needs, they should be more than capable of behaving and taking care of themself for a short period of time. I realize this might be dangerous in a major city or crime ridden areas solely because of the risk of outsiders breaking in, but if that's your living situation I have to seriously question why you are living there. And yes I know it's illegal in Illinois but even my Chicago friends are outraged at the stupidity of that law.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shiny76
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:37 PM

i dunno about at 8, but here the law is at 12 and i follow that law. my children can stay home when they reach the right legal age to.

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Rolls eyes
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:37 PM
12 moms liked this

If you leave an 8 year old home alone you are seriously ignoring your parental responsibilities.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM
5 moms liked this
I agree. We don't give our children the tools necessary to be independent anymore. I wonder why that is? I mean, what shift occurred in our world to create a generation of helicopter parents?
KtyKat757
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM

At 12, better safe than sorry I'd say.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My eight year old is fully capable of taking care of herself. What is wrong with your parenting that your kids are so helpless?

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

If you leave an 8 year old home alone you are seriously ignoring your parental responsibilities.

sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:40 PM
15 moms liked this

MOM-RN
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on the situation, the maturity of the kids and the neighborhood in which they live. 

We live in a small rural community and I feel 100% comfortable leaving my kids home alone at 8 + years old. If we lived in a bigger area, or if I didn't know my neighbors I don't think I would be as comfortable with it. 

Hazelnutkin
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:40 PM

I think they have to be twelve here, too. My middle one will do great, but she is not old enough. My oldest has special needs and my third is way too young. I would be most worried about leaving them home together- that seems to be when trouble really starts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Anything could happen. There could be a fire and he might panic and not be able to get out. Anyone  could break in in any neighborhood. Kids being abducted is not uncommon at all, especially in states that are high in human trafficking (mine is). To me it's not worth the risk. I'd never forgive myself if something happened that I could have prevented. Crazy things happen every single day. All of that aside, 8 is too young and I don't care what anyone says. 11 or 12 is more acceptable. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)