Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this sexist?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
My sister has 2 boys and 2 girls. She gave the boys middle names but not the girls. She got married at 20 and dropped her middle name and took her maiden name as her middle.

I'm pregnant and she suggested I do that as well...I think it's sexist and weird. She's practically planning for her infant daughter to be married one day.

To me it feels like the boys get their own names from the beginning but the girls are left waiting around for marriage to complete their name.

What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:45 PM
I think you need yo mind your own business. You don't need a middle name to have a complete name
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM
How is it sexist to think your children will get married some day?
TardisTraveler
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM
Whoa...way to look way too deep into it.
cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:49 PM

I think it's a good idea. A friend of mine dropped her middle name when she got married and used her maiden name as a middle. I would have done that had I thought of it. Did you take your husbands last name because that could be considered sexist too. Oh and make sure you pump milk so your husband can feed the baby just as often as you do so you aren't being sexist about who should take care of him/her

Allysha18
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:49 PM
I think who cares. It's just a name
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:50 PM
Because she is only doing it for the girls.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How is it sexist to think your children will get married some day?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:52 PM

I dropped my maiden name and kept my middle name. It seems weird to me to drop your middle name. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:53 PM
So you don't think she plans on her sons getting married one day?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Because she is only doing it for the girls.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How is it sexist to think your children will get married some day?
shiny76
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:56 PM

just don't do it, we each have our own point of veiws. tell her it's not for you.

PPCLC
by AZ Lizard on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:56 PM

I'll be honest...too much effort and thinking has been put into wondering why she's doing what she's doing, or even caring.

It's her kid's and if they want to change things up when they're older, they'll find a way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)