Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who were/are Stepkids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

....what did you want from you SM....?  It gets frustrating as a SM to always be told you're doing too much/too little/you're overstepping/you're cold and heartless...

What did YOU want?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fireball101586
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a step dad when younger. I didn't want him in my life at all and until he died 2 yrs ago, I still didn't.
thatgirlyouknow
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM
I didn't have a SM. I have 2 stepdads. My mom's husband is new, I don't expect anything from him. My dad's husband, is my papa, he is my dad too and he's always acted as such.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM
3 moms liked this

I wanted her out of my way.

I was a teenager, my mom was moving "home" over 2000 miles away the week after I finished hs.  And I was moving in with my dad & step mom while I went to jr college.  I wanted nothing to do with that woman.  I wanted her to just stay the hell out of my way.

But she didnt.  She loved me, she understood the anger of a teen, she understood the hurt from having my mom just pick up and leave, she remained the adult and showed me only love.  She did get her feelings hurt and she did get mad, but she kept a poker face.  

30 years later I am so unbelievable grateful for her strength of character and love.  I have apologized over and over.  And I have thanked her many times.  She is a wonderful woman, step mother, and role modle.... not to mention and awsome grandma!

Funny you should ask this today.... in 2 hours my step mom, 2 step sisters, and sil are all coming to my hosue for the weekend to celebrate my step mom's bday.

You will always be told this or that.... listen to your heart, treat them like your own, like them in spite of the issues around you, love them for who they are, and you will be fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:09 PM
Someone who respected, even encourage alone time with my dad. Someone who did expect me to be respectful yet didn't expect me to follow stupid rules the moment I walked in the door. Someone who would talk to me and teach me things.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:10 PM

My SM is pretty horrid. She's very controlling and rude. She actually told me when they got married that it wasn't my house anymore, I didn't have a room, and that she allowed me in her home. It was my childhood home. My dad just blew it off. I don't have any contact with them anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:10 PM
To be treated the same as my stepsister
JustMyHumbleOpi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM
My mom never married him but the man I considered my step dad was wonderful for us. He was a stable, caring, helpful figure in our lives and he encouraged us to strive to be better people. He cared for both his children and my mothers as if we were all the same and he made us feel safe and secure. My father was not a good person when I was younger so perhaps I see my "stepdad" in this light due to that but whatever the reason I am so grateful I had him.
JustMyHumbleOpi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:16 PM
IMO kids just want to be loved.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:18 PM
My stepmother was jealous of the way my father's family treated me...the oldest granddaughter in a traditional, large Italian family, aka "The Golden Child", LOL. As she got older, and more secure within the family, we got closer. I adore her now, we are very close. Her insecurities kept us from being closer sooner.

My stepfather was my best friend and the first person to show me unconditional love...everyone else expected me to constantly be perfect, he was just happy to be my dad. I lost him in 2011, it was the worst thing that has ever happened to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:21 PM
My mom remarried when I was an adult and the man tries to act like my father. He tries to take credit for the person I turned out to be. It annoys me. I didn't even know the guy until I was 20. What I am grateful for is he treats my son like he is his actual grandfather. My bio dad is not in the picture and neither are my sons paternal grandparents. It's nice to have at least one decent set.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)