Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman gives birth to twins with different fathers

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

Baby Feet

Cox Media Group National Content Desk

HOA BINH, Vietnam — 

In what may be a first of its kind in Vietnam, a mother has learned that her twins have different fathers.

Relatives insisted that fraternal twins from Hòa Bình province in Vietnam did not look alike so they were taken in for DNA tests in Hanoi according to The Guardian.

One of the infants has thick, curly hair and the other has thin, straight hair. To rule out a hospital mix-up, DNA testing of the mother showed that she was the mother of both children.

It was later revealed that the siblings are actually bi-paternal twins, or twins who have different fathers.

Professor Le Dinh Luong, who did the DNA testing, told the BBC that the results were "100 percent correct."

"There are only less than 10 known cases of twins with different fathers in the world. There might be other cases but the parents and/or the twins were not aware of it or didn't want to announce it," Luong said.

Luong also said bi-paternal twins could happen if two eggs from the same mother were fertilized by sperm from two different men within one to seven days apart in an ovulation period.

Further details were not provided because of client confidentiality.

There are fewer than 10 documented cases of bi-paternal twins worldwide.

Read more here.

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:33 PM

I BELIEVE in silly putty

I BELIEVE that Silly Putty should be made freely available to all students and teachers of all students, but especially learner drivers;

to people confined to: hospital beds, wheelchairs, prison cells and the passengers seats of poor drivers and inept pilots

to anyone waiting in: a dentists' waiting room, the lounge of a maternity hospital, a supermarket queue, in front of a pregnancy test kit and behind the kid with the big piggy bank in the teller's line;

the wives and sweethearts of golfers, fishermen, astronauts and model train enthusiasts

the husbands and lovers of anyone who makes patchwork quilts

keepers of paper filing systems

the person working on the return and refund desk the week after Christmas and on the lingerie counter the week before

parents whose children ask "why?", are teething, have the car for the first time, on their first date, or who are dating anyone with a Harley or a tattoo of Clinton

Quoting Anonymous 1:

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:37 PM
That's neat, I didn't know that could happen
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Fun fact :
If you take a bath in silly putty, you can't get out.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

I BELIEVE in silly puttyI BELIEVE that Silly Putty should be made freely available to all students and teachers of all students, but especially learner drivers;to people confined to: hospital beds, wheelchairs, prison cells and the passengers seats of poor drivers and inept pilotsto anyone waiting in: a dentists' waiting room, the lounge of a maternity hospital, a supermarket queue, in front of a pregnancy test kit and behind the kid with the big piggy bank in the teller's line;the wives and sweethearts of golfers, fishermen, astronauts and model train enthusiaststhe husbands and lovers of anyone who makes patchwork quiltskeepers of paper filing systemsthe person working on the return and refund desk the week after Christmas and on the lingerie counter the week beforeparents whose children ask "why?", are teething, have the car for the first time, on their first date, or who are dating anyone with a Harley or a tattoo of Clinton

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM
Learn something new all the time. Interesting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:59 PM
Saw it on maury once years ago.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:02 PM
I learned about bi-paternal twins ages ago on a talk show. I want to say it was an episode of Montel Williams. If I'm remembering correctly, the woman had separated from her husband for a bit and then got back together. She was worried during her pregnancy about the paternity but when the first baby came out white, she was relieved. Then the next baby came out and it was mixed. Oops!
maminka-4
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:05 PM
There was a woman in Texas who gave birth to twins with 2 different fathers around the same time I had my twins.

I've heard of moms giving birth to one black and one white twin babies. Dad was black, mom was white.

These stories seem weird but it can happen. You learn quite a bit when you have twins!
TardisTraveler
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM
It is very medically possible.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Lol. 

Also, dang, Montel was a long time ago!

Quoting Anonymous 4: I learned about bi-paternal twins ages ago on a talk show. I want to say it was an episode of Montel Williams. If I'm remembering correctly, the woman had separated from her husband for a bit and then got back together. She was worried during her pregnancy about the paternity but when the first baby came out white, she was relieved. Then the next baby came out and it was mixed. Oops!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)