Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spooky story! Share yours!

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:41 PM
  • 24 Replies

This is a story that a friend of mine told me years ago and she still swears is true.

She was home for Christmas break during her first year at University. A couple, whom she had often babysat for during her teens, called last minute and asked if she could watch their children for a few hours. Their regular sitter was sick and they were supposed to attend a Christmas party for the husband's company. She didn't have any plans, so she agreed to do it.

They had decorated for the holidays and she noticed a very ornate Mrs. Claus doll in a bookcase in their living room. The doll was dressed in an elaborately made Victorian style red velvet dress with white lace collar and hand embroidered snowflakes adorning the bodice and skirt. The head and hands appeared to be porcelain with a painstakingly detailed, hand-painted face. Perfect ringlets of silvery gray hair framed the face, the rest of the hair pulled up into a bun at the back of the head. The look was completed by a jauntily placed red velvet hat and wire frame spectacles. It was, according to my friend an exceptionally exquisite doll. Mrs. Claus was sitting casually, grinning cheerfully at a glass pine tree positioned on the shelf next to her.

The evening was uneventful. She fed the kids dinner, watched a Christmas movie with them, and then put them to bed. A couple of hours later she was drowsily watching tv in the dimly lit living room. She yawned and randomly glanced up at the bookshelf. She was startled to see Mrs. Claus grinning down at her! Thinking that it must just be a trick of the light, she turned on the lamp next to the couch. The doll was still facing her, it's head had moved significantly to the right of it's original position.

A little freaked out, my friend decided to grab a drink from the kitchen. A few minutes later she returned to the living room and nervously glanced toward the bookcase. She froze, feeling as if all the air had suddenly been sucked out of her lungs. The doll was now facing the kitchen doorway on the opposite side of the living room from the couch! She said that it took every ounce of willpower to keep from screaming and peeing her pants!

Determined to solve this mystery, she decided to examine the doll for internal mechanics that would facilitate the head turning. She forced her feet to move while she kept her eyes on the doll. The once cheerful, chubby-cheeked grin seemed to have changed. Now the doll appeared to have a malicious smirk. It's eyes seemed alight with sadistic glee. She reminded herself that it was just a doll, that she had let her imagination get the best of her, and that there MUST be a rational explanation.

She reached for the doll slowly, a small part of her mind terrified that the doll would suddenly leap at her with razor sharp teeth and long slashing claws. But the doll just sat there, staring at her. She lifted it carefully, noticing that it was much heavier than she would have ever guessed and (she absolutely swears to this) the doll was warm. Not body temperature warm, but much warmer than it should have been sitting untouched in a room that was cool enough for her to wear a sweater.

She looked the doll over from head to toe, even squeezing it's soft cloth body, but she found no mechanics or electronics of any kind. As she was gently replacing the doll on its shelf, she says it's hand brushed across the back of her hand, like a soft caress. She was barely able to stifle a small scream. My friend says that she is certain that it was just gravity and the motion of replacing the doll on the shelf that caused the movement, but the look on her face when she tells that part of the story says she is not convinced. At. All. She decided at that point she had had enough and would spend the rest of her time there sitting in the kitchen.

A couple of hours later the couple returned home and she was extremely grateful to see them!

As they walked her to the door through the living room, my friend glanced apprehensively at the doll. It's head had return to it's original position, cheerfully gazing at the glass pine tree. The wife noticed her glance and told my friend that she had inherited the doll from her Grandmother. The doll, she explained, was the first thing you would see when you entered her Grandmother's house at Christmas time. The wife admitted that when she was a small child, the doll frightened her badly. And then, looking uneasy, she added that she wasn't sure why she had put it out in the first place.

As they were saying goodbye at the door, my friend glanced over the wife's shoulder into the living room and the doll was staring back at her.

That was the last time she ever babysat for them!
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:51 PM
Bump
CreamTop
by I Rise on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM
Good story! I've read this before, somewhere.......but here's a bump!
Supercrazy101
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM
Come on this is a made up story from you isn't it.
BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:58 PM
Thanks for the bump!

I wrote this story but I have shared it before on 1 or 2 (or 3, lol) posts on CM.

Quoting CreamTop: Good story! I've read this before, somewhere.......but here's a bump!
BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM
I didn't make it up. My friend actually did tell me this story. She swears it is true but other than taking her word for it, I cannot swear to it's authenticity!

Quoting Supercrazy101: Come on this is a made up story from you isn't it.
catchthedawn
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM
Wonderful. An Xmas version of Chucky.
shyone_91786
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM
Here is the thing. Ever since i had my DS i have been feeling something weird. The first time something happen was when my son was a few weeks old. He would smile at something behind me the laugh. He would look at me then behind me then back at me and smile.

I felt something when my son was about 4 or 5 mos old. He was sick. When we were laying down i woke up with a feeling of someone standing over the bed checking on the baby. At first I thought it was my mom. So I asked her if she came in to my room and she told me no.

The second time I felt it was when i was sick. I felt someone open my door. No i did not see my door open i had my eyes closed but it felt like someone open it peek in then close it. Again i asked my mom if she checked in on me and she said no. She usually dose when she gets off work. I have had someone sit on my bed and pat my legg and i would look but no one will be there. When my son was a year old and i was playing with him he will stop look behind me and start doing his baby talk. Stop like he is listing to something smile and talk some more. I look behind me but don't see anything.

There have been times when i am by myself sitting on the couch reading and i can feel someone behind me leaning over.
BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM
Lol! Ever since my friend shared this story with me, I've never been able to look at Christmas dolls the same!

Quoting catchthedawn: Wonderful. An Xmas version of Chucky.
BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM
Spooky! But it seems like a nice thing. Like someone is looking out for you and your little one

Quoting shyone_91786: Here is the thing. Ever since i had my DS i have been feeling something weird. The first time something happen was when my son was a few weeks old. He would smile at something behind me the laugh. He would look at me then behind me then back at me and smile.

I felt something when my son was about 4 or 5 mos old. He was sick. When we were laying down i woke up with a feeling of someone standing over the bed checking on the baby. At first I thought it was my mom. So I asked her if she came in to my room and she told me no.

The second time I felt it was when i was sick. I felt someone open my door. No i did not see my door open i had my eyes closed but it felt like someone open it peek in then close it. Again i asked my mom if she checked in on me and she said no. She usually dose when she gets off work. I have had someone sit on my bed and pat my legg and i would look but no one will be there. When my son was a year old and i was playing with him he will stop look behind me and start doing his baby talk. Stop like he is listing to something smile and talk some more. I look behind me but don't see anything.

There have been times when i am by myself sitting on the couch reading and i can feel someone behind me leaning over.
catchthedawn
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:09 PM
I think dolls in general are creepy. If I had been your friend, I would have put that doll in another room, two minutes after they left.

Quoting BonnieRay: Lol! Ever since my friend shared this story with me, I've never been able to look at Christmas dolls the same!

Quoting catchthedawn: Wonderful. An Xmas version of Chucky.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)