Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A letter to my children

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:00 PM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

Warning: this is me letting it all out after a very scary day, not trying to upset anyone, I just need an outlet. thanks in advance. 

To my children:

Today, I could have lost you both. The first thought in my mind as I felt that truck slam into the back of our van was of the two of you, asleep in the back, closer than I to that huge truck, i remember in that split second asking God to protect you, because I was helpless. 

the next sound was the most beautiful in the world, I heard you, my sweet daughter, calling out for me. you rarely speak, but I clearly heard you say, Mommy!! my beautiful boy, for one heart stopping moment, I couldn't hear you, I turned and you were ash white, I asked you if you were hurt, and in the sweetest voice, you said "I'm o.k mommy, are you o.k?" 

the next minutes and hours were so busy, you both hung onto me as we waited for help. the driver of the other car wasn't badly injured, he was texting and driving and didn't see us stopped for the car ahead of us to turn. The EMTs and officers made you both feel more at ease, and by the time we arrived at the hospital, it was like it never happened, you were both laughing and playing. the only evidence of our morning was the bruise I got from the seatbelt. 

I will never forget the moment daddy came into the E.R, I found out later all he had been told was we were in a wreck, they didn't tell him our condition. daddy is a strong man. I've seen him cry 3 times in 10 years, today he scooped you both up and cried buckets. that moment reminded me in many ways of why I fell in love with him in the first place. sometimes we lose track of each other in the day to day, we forget to make time for one another, and that's not o.k. we are your mommy and daddy, but first, it was just the two of us. today reminded me of that, and reminded me that I need to make more time for daddy. 

as for our car, it is a total loss, but I saw the damage this afternoon. it made my heart stop seeing how close we came to losing the two of you. the truck going A little faster,or if I hadnt let go of the brake and let the car roll forward, you most likely would have been severely injured or killed. What would we have done without you?

my little girl: at 3, you still don't talk, they tell us you don't hear much, but despite that you are so incredibly smart. you amaze us every day, you are sweet, kind, a fireball who keeps us on our toes. Someone called your language delay babble "annoying" recently and it broke my heart. I've never heard you speak more than 2 words at a time, and if it's possible to miss a voice you've never heard, sweet baby I miss yours. I long to hear you say, "I love you, mommy" or "mommy play with me!" it hurts my heart that this barrier exists, but one day, we'll hear your voice. I'm so grateful we will have the chance to.

my little boy: 4 months ago, you came to us a very withdrawn, very frightened boy. so much has gone wrong in your life, who could blame you? all we ever wanted for you is to give you the loving family you deserve, and it has NOT been easy!!! adding a child to your home is not easy, adjusting to a new mommy, daddy, and sister has not been easy for you. but I've seen you grow and change so quickly, I've seen you just eat up the attention, love, and the new experiences. you still wake up most nights, but now instead of sitting in your room, you come looking for me and your daddy. I hope this means you know that we are a safe place when this world is too big and too scary. that scared me today, that the progress you've made could be undone by someone's careless behavior. once I knew you were o.k, that new fear took hold. I waited for you to withdraw and regress, and in the coming days, I will be watching closely. but like most children you have an amazing resilience, YOU are the strongest 4 (sorry, 4 and A HALF) year old I know

.im sorry this happened to us, but we are all home, we are safe and together.  we lost our car, but that doesn't matter, cars can be replaced. Daddy and I love you both soooo much!!! chances are at 3 and 4.5 years old, this will quickly become a distant memory that will eventually fade away, and you won't remember any of it. if you do, please remember that sometimes bad things happen, and we can't let it outweigh all the good!! I love you my sweet babies!!!!!!!

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:04 PM

Oh ffs

tsatske2
by Latricia on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:07 PM

I'm so glad you are all okay. As you said, they will replace the van, all that matters is you and the LOs.

pot_of_flowers

livric
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM

lovely letter mama!!!   As a mother to a non verbal child I totally get you about the missing a voice that you have never heard!!   glad everyone is ok..  hugs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:11 PM
Really... Go find another post to be a asshole.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Oh ffs

lexasmommy411
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:12 PM

thank you. The guy who hit us had insurance, we are still waiting to hear back, right now I'm not even worried about that, I have a four door we can use, just surprised at how much damage was done, the back look like it had exploded. luckily, both kids sit on the two "captains seats" in the middle, not the back, because the back seat was almost crushed in. 

Quoting tsatske2:

I'm so glad you are all okay. As you said, they will replace the van, all that matters is you and the LOs.

pot_of_flowers

blessedtohave7
by Bahama Mama on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:12 PM
Very sweet letter... So thankful all of you are OK.
kylenkodysmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Beautiful! Glad no one was injured.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexasmommy411
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:15 PM

thank you. she talks a little but it's very garbled, usually mommy comes out sounding like "umama" but it was clear as day. 

Quoting livric:

lovely letter mama!!!   As a mother to a non verbal child I totally get you about the missing a voice that you have never heard!!   glad everyone is ok..  hugs

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:15 PM
Glad everyone is ok! And FUCK the asshat who hit you! My best friend was almost killed when some guy was texting and driving. She spent over 3 months in the hospital.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:17 PM
Hugs!!! So glad you are all okay!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)