Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Defacing the Bible?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
Bible journaling is a big thing right now. Making colorful works of art in your bible to match the verses you read. But some think it's a defacing of a holy book. What do you think??
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM
I've never seen a Bible with enough margin to allow for colorful works of art. I've always highlighted things I found to be useful or moving in books. Doesn't much matter to me whether it's a religios text or not. Seems like God would appreciate your remembering his commandment any way you choose to do so.
DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:49 PM
I don't consider the bible a holy book, so it's fine by me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:50 PM

I'm personally not a fan and couldn't do it to my Bible, but I don't judge those who do.  I can see the value some people might get out of it, but I feel that it shouldn't be written in.

TardisTraveler
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I've rolled bible joints.
I see no issue
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:50 PM
Not a holy book to me so let them do what they want.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM
Defacing it would be writing hateful things or curse words in it. Something along those lines, not notes or highlights.
morgiefae
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM

That I don't feel is defacing the bible. 

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:53 PM

I use colored highlighters in my studying to help me track my reading, just like I would with any other studies. When I'm just reading, I have a tendency to start skimming rather than reading every word unless I am looking for particular things - hence the highlighters.

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Some people learn best through color, art, doodling, whatever. I highly value the Bible, but I am ok with people who are coloring or writing in their Bible if it helps them learn, interact with, and remember the Bible. Not ok to cross things out, of course. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2016 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

They make journaling bibles with places to write. Sometimes people also use water colors and colored pencils to color over the text pictures. You can still read the text and it comes out more like a background image.

Quoting shadow_lark: I've never seen a Bible with enough margin to allow for colorful works of art. I've always highlighted things I found to be useful or moving in books. Doesn't much matter to me whether it's a religios text or not. Seems like God would appreciate your remembering his commandment any way you choose to do so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)