Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not gonna LIE to my kids but ppl think I should. Seriously?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is rediculous.I've got country ribs in the crockpot. Its a cow that my parents raised & butchered. I made a JOKE and said I wasn't going to tell the kids it was from grammy & grampy's until they were done. Ppl are saying I shouldn't even tell them (cause when they were little, their parents ate their pet rabbit or favorite cow that had long eyelashes). My kids are 8 & 12 & understand the raising for food process. We've ate several cows & hogs before from my parents' and they were fine with it. We had burgers last weekend from the same cow & they knew which cow it was from. They understand how important it is to KNOW where your food came from. bfd! 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shannon0527
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:02 PM
My kids would freak out and be upset. But if that's the norm for your life, it's just simply different situations than most are accustomed to. If they can handle it, I see no reason to lie.
SouthTxPrincess
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM
My kids are 4 & 6 and we have eaten cows and pigs that were raised at their grandparents, that they helped raise by feeding on the weekends with papa, their whole lives. They know where their food comes from and it hasn't scared either one.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM
I agree with you. My kids have always known what they were eating. They called pork pig for the longest time "mommy are we going to have pig bacon?" And knew they were eating organs when I fed them liver
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:04 PM

It's the circle of life so there's no reason to hide it from them. 

Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:05 PM

You kind of yourself in this position, by making the joke you insinuate that your children would have a reaction but your whole argument is that it's nbd to them. 

Some me kids woukd have a hard time emotionally processing eating an animal they "know", when you act like your kids are in that group, people would think it's better not to tell them. 😐

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:05 PM
My parents always bought a cow and had it slaughtered every year. We bought it from my grandparents. They never his where it came from and it never bothered me.
lizzig
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:08 PM

i think it's great you can eat food that you know how it was raised.  though i'm a vegetarian my family isn't & i would love that option for them.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Why would you bring it up at all ??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I grew up on a farm and had two cows that we loved! They were friendly and as small kids we loved them. My parents told us after dinner that it was on of our favorite cows that we had. We got the whole food thing growing up on a farm but it was traumatizing. We were so young and it felt like a betrayal. I still remember how it felt. I would've been much happier had they never told us. Cows move around frequently so telling us that they went somewhere else would've been understandable. We get the circle of life but that doesn't mean that we don't have normal feelings and won't be upset when it's an animal we love.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

This is rediculous.I've got country ribs in the crockpot. Its a cow that my parents raised & butchered. I made a JOKE and said I wasn't going to tell the kids it was from grammy & grampy's until they were done. Ppl are saying I shouldn't even tell them (cause when they were little, their parents ate their pet rabbit or favorite cow that had long eyelashes). My kids are 8 & 12 & understand the raising for food process. We've ate several cows & hogs before from my parents' and they were fine with it. We had burgers last weekend from the same cow & they knew which cow it was from. They understand how important it is to KNOW where your food came from. bfd! 

holyhellokitty
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:18 PM
What the eyelashes part? lol

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Why would you bring it up at all ??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)