Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm 48 and have no friends

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
I used to be social decades ago, but I've had bad social anxiety for a long, long time. I can chit chat in line at the market or something, but anything deeper terrifies me. And at this point I can't help but wonder who would want a friendship with someone who doesn't have any other friends.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TisHerself
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Have you talked with a professional? Antidepressants can help with anxiety. 

No one needs to know you have no other friends. When I meet people for the first time, I never inquire about the number of friends they have. 

Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM
Are you alone? Do you have any family? Most people I know only hang out with family. I pretty much take care of my kids and made friends with the TV.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:45 PM

It's waaaay harder to make friends as an adult, I feel you. My two best friends moved away to separate states in the same year and it's never been the same for me. I hope that you stumble across someone that you click with and form an instant friendship with...It's like falling in love: You'll know when it happens!

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:09 PM

People in your life is overrated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:06 AM
I'm married with grown children and grandchildren. Our 20yo still lives with us. It doesn't help matters that I am a huge introvert and cherish my alone time, but I know I'm missing something by not having friendships.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Are you alone? Do you have any family? Most people I know only hang out with family. I pretty much take care of my kids and made friends with the TV.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:10 AM
Thanks. I've seen a therapist until just recently. In fact I made an appointment to see him tomorrow(after a 2+ month hiatus) because my depression is really bad also.

Quoting TisHerself:

Have you talked with a professional? Antidepressants can help with anxiety. 

No one needs to know you have no other friends. When I meet people for the first time, I never inquire about the number of friends they have. 

Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:15 AM
As an introvert I understand this sentiment, but I know it's not healthy to not have any friends.

Quoting corticosteroid:

People in your life is overrated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:22 AM
Thanks.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

It's waaaay harder to make friends as an adult, I feel you. My two best friends moved away to separate states in the same year and it's never been the same for me. I hope that you stumble across someone that you click with and form an instant friendship with...It's like falling in love: You'll know when it happens!

SaigeMarie
by on Mar. 12, 2016 at 6:26 AM
I'm 30 year and have zero friends, never really have since I grew up as an only child and an army brat. To top it off people in my 20s enjoy things like going to bars, drinking, partying and concerts. I've always been a coffee shop girl with a good book. I think all that combined makes friendships impossible.

I definitely crave friendships but since I'm due with my first child in the fall and work a lot I try. It to think about it anymore. Maybe one day I'll meet people but until then I've accepted to be on my own
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)